Simple QoS DSCP setup for prioritize routing and VOIP

I am very new to the PTP 820s and will recently have a licensed link running with these radios.

I have all the basic stuff setup and working and just looking for a very simple how to on making sure DSCP market packets for VOIP and routing get highest priority (46 and 56 etc)

I can see the QoS configuration has the traffic labelled as green by default but I am not sure how or if I need to make a policy to use the preset DSCP priorities.

Unless you're maxing out capacity on your 820... there's no need to set QoS/DSCP.

I'm not certain I completely agree.  Some applications are very sensitive to latency changes, such as ROIP.  The QoS settings in the PTP 820 can be complex to configure.  I have been unable to locate any such application note or Cambium configuration guide.  Does Cambium provide such support?

@Donald Peters wrote:

I'm not certain I completely agree.  Some applications are very sensitive to latency changes, such as ROIP.  The QoS settings in the PTP 820 can be complex to configure.  I have been unable to locate any such application note or Cambium configuration guide.  Does Cambium provide such support?

Unless you're PTP820 link is either 1. experiencing some interference forcing re-transmits (which it shouldn't because it's licensed), or 2. hitting the ceiling traffic-wise... latency and jitter is extremely consistent, even with heavly loaded (but not maxed out) links. I guess one more possibility would be rain/weather fade... but a properly engineered link should have enough of a margin to deal with all but the worst apocalyptic conditions and the hitless ACM and ATPC will introduce a negligible amount of jitter. In this event the jitter is so small that it should not effect any sensitive/VoIP traffic, and furthermore, any QoS settings applied would not help decrease jitter in this event as all traffic over the link would be subject to the ACM/ATPC changes. We have several 820 links and we've never had to configure QoS on them.

IF you have a scenario that you believe QoS will help with, you can find QoS configuration examples in the PTP820 user guide, chapter 7 located HERE. NOTE! You'll need to register/login with your Cambium account to access this guide.

YES! Cambium does provide technical support! You can always ask questions in the forum HERE... and you can find support options HERE.

1 Like