SM lockup

Hi i monitor a network and when clients go down how can i tel if its the sm lockingup
How do i know if the sm has lockedup or its a nother problem???

Thanks

riosat wrote:
Hi i monitor a network and when clients go down how can i tel if its the sm lockingup
How do i know if the sm has lockedup or its a nother problem????

Generally if you can reboot the SM and it comes back, it's SM lockup, or some other problem on the SM.

-forrest

we are running 8.2.2 and seeing SMs lock-up across our network (over 4,500 SMs) - the SM drops its registration to the SM and you have to power-cycle the SM to get it to re-register - radio signal is not the issue - this is occurring on SMs that have excellent connections - 100/100 link tests

Is this a known issue that Motorola is working to fix?

Although not as large a network as you, we’ve seen it a few times with 8.2.2 SMs and excellent link quality. It seems to be an issue with the software and I would imagine it is being worked on.

Others have mentioned the issue so it’s not an isolated incident.

Just called Canopy Technical Support and they do not know anything about this issue. If you are having trouble with 8.2.2 SM lock-ups, please contact Canopy Technical Support immediately.

I get that response a lot. I think it takes a flood of phone calls before they’ll admit there is an issue.

I’ve had my fill of Canopy support. There have been a few times where the support personnel have given me a very condescending attitude. I’m a customer, not an inferior and as such I don’t appreciate being treated like one. I only call in absolute emergencies now.

dczimmerm wrote:
Just called Canopy Technical Support and they do not know anything about this issue. If you are having trouble with 8.2.2 SM lock-ups, please contact Canopy Technical Support immediately.

You probably got a n00b who was giving a canned response. :wink:

I waited on the line 20 minutes while the tech “supposedly” checked with his supervisor to see if an issue already existed. I explained that I didn’t want to waste time gathering information about a problem they already knew about.

dczimmerm wrote:
I waited on the line 20 minutes while the tech "supposedly" checked with his supervisor to see if an issue already existed. I explained that I didn't want to waste time gathering information about a problem they already knew about.

The only known lockup bug in 8.2.2 I'm aware of is a situation where the SM thinks it's registered and the AP doesn't. Mot is definately aware of this and is working on it...

Generally the symptom of this is that rebooting *EITHER* the AP or the SM will restore connectivity... If you go in the SM from the client side, you will also note that the SM thinks it is registered, and the AP doesn't.

-forrest