Solar Powered Sites

I have a site that is solar powered and want to use the Force 200 for a PTP camera link. It's an existing site with a big 12vdc solar panel (1500 watts).

So, I need to run everything off 12vdc. Can this be done with the ePMP equipment?

Suggestions on how to go about this would be appreciated.

Yes. We have a force 110 ptp link on a solar site. It has no problems running off 12 volt. 

Force 200 spec sheet also says it will operate on 10-30 volts. So you shouldn't have any problems using the force 200. 

http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/ePMP-Installation/ePMP-Powering-at-Sub-freezing-Temperatures/m-p/48918/highlight/true#M27

Even if you're not in a cold region, i suggest you double check your cable connectors(for correct crimping), and make the cable runs as short as possible, both in the ethernet and the DC cabling system.

Avoid as much as possible connectors in the DC powering side (barrel connector, etc). 

When under discharge, your battery bank will go as low as 10.5v, 7w/10.5 makes for 666mA.
That's some considerable current given you don't have many spare volts to drop.

it should work if done carefully, good luck!!

@Jordan521 wrote:

Yes. We have a force 110 ptp link on a solar site. It has no problems running off 12 volt.

I suspect this is a Force 110 simply operating as a PTP link (the Force 110 PTP datasheet specs a voltage range of 23 to 56 V, while the Force 110 specs a voltage range of 10-30V). 

@@mplradioIf you need the 10-30 V range, try to get a regular Force 110.

@Jordan521 wrote:

Force 200 spec sheet also says it will operate on 10-30 volts. So you shouldn't have any problems using the force 200. 

The Force 200 spec sheet does say 10-30 V, BUT BUT BUT... when it comes in the mail, you excitedly assemble it, and read the label... you will find it actually says 14-30 V.

I asked about this on the forum regarding the Force 180 (also says 14-30 V) and got no response:

http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/ePMP-1000/Force-180-Input-Voltage-Range/td-p/45461

-Chris

@uberdome, you are correct it is a normal force 110, thanks for clarifing. 

@uberdome, have you tried connecting 12 volt to the force 200 and seeing if it works? I am curious, I suspect that it will. 

Jordan

@Jordan521 wrote:

@uberdome, have you tried connecting 12 volt to the force 200 and seeing if it works? I am curious, I suspect that it will. 

I have not actually tried it (I've run older integrated and connectorized units on 12V, but haven't tried the new stuff yet).

I checked back in my email and at one point I asked a sales manager about it. His reply included:

"I spoke with the engineers, the input power would support 12V. However, it is not recommended to run 12V we recommend using 15V. If you were to go ahead with 12V input power it would void the warranty since that is not the official recommended input power."

So I guess I did get a response, just not a response to my forum post. 

-Chris

1 Like

Thanks for the response and suggestions. I could switch the site to 24 without too much problem if we needed to. A Force 180 would be the way to go due to the site limitations. Anything larger and we have to figure out a  way to keep Pelicans from landing on it. The Force 200 would have to use the radome.

Netonix makes some awesome DC switches that will regulate the power to your radios so they get the ideal voltage, they can be configured to go to sleep if the batteires get to low, and shut down at another point. If you get to much current into the radio and to low voltage, you will let the smoke out, it’s happened to us from our portable battery packs when the installers haven’t kept there 12v batteries charged.

1 Like