SOME LIMITATION WITH THE DISTANCE IN FIRMWARE 2.4?

I HAVE SOME LINKS

50 KMS

80 KMS

84 KMS

134 KMS

WORKING WELL WITH THE FIRMWARE 2.3.4

AFTER UPGRADE TO FIRMWARE 2.4  NO LINK IN THE 80 KMS ,

SOME LIMITATION WITH THE DISTANCE IN THE 2.4 FIRMWARE ?

I CAN DETECT THE AP BUT NOT CONNECT

CHECK IN TDD MODE AND PTP MODE

NOT WORK

ANY INFO? 

Hello  Mario, can you elaborate more about the link conditions. You mentioned 4 links at various distances so we need to ask is it just the 80 kms link that didn't connect. Did you use link planner to verify LOS and link performance? Are they in PTP mode?

HELLO

THE LINKS WORK GREAT WITH FIRMWARE WITH THE FIRMWARE 2.3.4  VERY GOOD AGGREGATE IN THE 80 KMS "168 MBPS" WITH 34 DB ANTENNAS

AND THE DISTANCE ADJUST TO 64 KMS AND NO PROBLEM

AFTER UPGRADE TO 2.4 FIRMWARE NO CONNECT I TRIED IN TDD AND PTP MODE 

LATER DOWNGRADE TO 2.3.4 AND WORKS VERY WELL AGAIN !!!

THE LOS ITS OK BECAUSE THE AP AND ST IS IN A MOUNTAINS

FOR THAT I THINK .. MAYBE SOME LIMITATION IN THE DISTANCE

Thank you for the clarification. We will further review and reply soon.

THANKS

The latest firmware corrects the previous software issue which allowed it to go beyond the 40 mile max limit. Now the official max distance is appropriately set at 40 miles or 64km. I suggest using the link budget calculator to properly plan the link.

1 Like

Hi Raule - I'm not certain you understoed Mario's question properly.  He said he has existing links that are 80 KM and capable of 168 Mbit and that they have been 'workign great' for him, and that they no longer work after the upgrade to 2.4.  You describe that as a ''fix'', but I'm not certain that Mario sees a link goign from 'working great' to 'not functional' as a 'fix'.

As Sriram has stated in this forum's release thread for the new 2.4 firmware: "ePTP mode uses a slightly different mechanism than TDD mode. In order to ensure a reliable and stable link and keep the latency low, we have restricted the range of the link. 24 km is the limit for a 40 MHz channel. 

The ranges are as follows:

20 MHz: 32 miles (52 km)

40 MHz: 15 miles (24 km)"

That being said, I think it would have been prudent to add this information to the release notes as a permanent change, or possibly under 'known problems or limitations' section of the release notes.

If you're seeing this distance limitiation in TDD mode as well, then perhaps this might be a bug?

Hi.

>If you're seeing this distance limitiation in TDD mode as well, then perhaps this might be a bug?

Yes. The Original Poster said that this was in both TDD mode and in PTP mode.  So, he had working TDD links - links which were ''work great'', and which simply no longer work - in either TDD or PTP mode. 

>I CAN DETECT THE AP BUT NOT CONNECT

>CHECK IN TDD MODE AND PTP MODE

>NOT WORK  >ANY INFO? 

I do understand that Cambium wanted to have a new PTP mode with lower latency, and I do understand that new modes may come with new benefits and with new limitations. But an existing link, in an existing mode, should not cease working due to a firmware upgrade.  And Cambium shouldn't answer that ''this is a fix'' and that the OP should ''properly plan'' and then close the book on the question.  The OP said this was passing 168Mbit @ 80 KM - that's awesome performance.

Hi Mario,

Technically we support 40 miles (64km) in TDD mode. However I understand you have a link longer than that working well with 2.3.4 and not so well with 2.4. We’re looking into this now and will keep you posted. Like Eric said it could be a “bug” on an unsupported “feature” which is a range greater than 40 miles.

Stay tuned.

Thanks,
Sriram

Hi Mario, 

Can you please try 2.4.1-RC2 which is now available as a Beta release: http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/ePMP-Beta/ePMP-Beta-Release-2-4-1-RC2-now-available/m-p/39608#U39608

I will stress once again that a range greater than 40 miles is not officially supported. It was a "bug" in the previous software releases that allowed an SM to register to an AP beyond 40 miles. Even though it may work in 2.4.1, there is no support for it and no guarantee on performace.

We will look into officially supporting longer distances in a future release. 

Thanks,

Sriram

ok.. let's try.... with the  RC firmware

I let you know about.. soon

best reagrds

Hi Sri

Is it possible (with firmwares 2.6 or 2.6.1) do links greater than 64km? How can we do that on ePMP plataform?

Thanks

Good day

Any change you might remove the 64km range - as has been mentioned we also have links over 64km and it worked perfectly. After upgrading we  were unable to connect "SM out of Range".

Very anoying as we had to drive to each site to revert back the firmware.

Thank you