Spectrum Analyzer Disconnecting

Hello all,

I'm having an issue where my Spectrum Analyzer is disconnecting after running about 10-15 seconds. I have the latest Version of Java (Version 8, Update 25), using the Connectorized GPS Radio's running the latest 2.3 firmware. I've tried using both OSX 10.10.1, and Windows 7 Pro. The only difference that is obvious from when I've ran this in the past is the fact that I'm connecting to these radios remotely vs locally. Has anyone had an issue running the Spectrum Analyzer remotely? We're also using a managment VLAN for remote access as well. There is 0 packet loss to the radios from my machine as well.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

When you say you are running remotely, does that mean you are trying to run the SA on the SM side over the RF link? If so, then you will see an issue as the actual RF connection is dropped when you invoke SA mode on the SM. The SM goes into all listen mode and cannot communicate to the AP anymore. 

At this point we are not supporting remote SA mode on the SM but it is a high priority feature on the ePMP roadmap.

Sakid,

Thanks for the reply. I'm referring to running the SA here at our NOC vs being on site directly connected to the ethernet (PoE injector). We had no problems running the analyzer on site for an extended peroid of time, but now that we have the tower installed, the Java app moves to a "Disconnected" state after 10-15 seconds. You cannot reconnect to the radio with the app until you restart the radio. This is the same on every radio on that tower.

Thanks.

Hello Cory,

Can you ping the device simultaneously while running in SA mode and look for high latency/ping loss? SA relies on a TCP session between the SA client (GUI) and the SA server that runs on the device. If for any reason the connection is not reliable, you may encounter issues with the SA client disconnecting.

Luis

Luis,

Yes, I can ping the SA just fine from my machine here...

--- 172.16.8.6 ping statistics ---
100 packets transmitted, 100 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 5.748/7.489/26.755/2.482 ms

At this point I've tried the beta FW, and downgraded to 2.2, and have the same results. 

Any other factors that would be causing this task to fail?

Thanks

Have you tried disabling VLAN's temporarily to test?

1 Like

Ben, that is a very good suggestion.

Cory, you can verify if your SA GUI is reaching the device by login thru CLI (only available in 2.3) and using the "show netstat" command. The listening port is 8001.

Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:8001 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN

Luis

Cory,

Starting from 2.2, the Release Notes contain the following warning, that may apply to your situation.

SPECTRUM ANALYZER WHEN MANAGEMENT VLAN IS ENABLED
When Management VLAN is enabled on the ePMP radio, the Spectrum Analyzer client must be launched from the same network as the Management VLAN.

Luis

Luis,

I am able to access the CLI just fine.

Corys-iMac:~ cory$ ssh -l admin 172.16.8.6
admin@172.16.8.6's password:

*      ePMP1000 command line interface     *

pmp1w-balt>show netstat
Active Internet connections (servers and established)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:8001            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:www             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:ssh             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN 

Thanks for the idea Ben. I tried outside of the VLAN, and had the same results.

Thanks

OK, so the SA server is running and listening on port 8001 as expected.

When you launch the SA client (GUI) in your PC and it connects, there will be a new entry in the output of the "show netstat" command with state ESTABLISHED, as shown below:

Cambium-Device>show netstat
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:8001 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 1400 10.120.233.205:8001 10.120.32.21:55006 ESTABLISHED

If you do not see an entry as above, something is preventing the SA client from reaching the SA server running on the device. If so, please open a support ticket with our support team so they can take a look, if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Luis

I do see that entry...

pmp1w-balt>show netstat
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:8001            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:www             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:ssh             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      
tcp        0      0 172.16.8.6:www          fw.office.qis.net:15836 TIME_WAIT   
tcp        0      0 172.16.8.6:ssh          fw.office.qis.net:25719 ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 172.16.8.6:8001         fw.office.qis.net:26327 ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 172.16.8.6:www          fw.office.qis.net:22614 TIME_WAIT   
tcp        0      0 172.16.8.6:www          fw.office.qis.net:16221 TIME_WAIT   
tcp        0      0 172.16.8.6:www          fw.office.qis.net:18206 TIME_WAIT   
tcp        0      0 172.16.8.6:www          fw.office.qis.net:24633 TIME_WAIT   
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:snmp            0.0.0.0:*         

The SA launches and runs between 15 and 90 seconds before it gets disconnected. Even when the Java App shows "Disconnected", there is still an established state for that connection.

Do you just need to be in the same subnet as the radio regardless?

Hello Cory,

Based on the warning in the Release Notes, if you are using Management VLAN, SA client needs to be launch from the same network as the Management VLAN.

Luis

Ok, thanks for the information. I've since taken the radio out of the VLAN, and still have the same issue. I will try from the same network.