ssh from cnPilot

Is it possible to start an ssh session from an ssh session in a cnPilot AP?

'service start-shell' looks to be what I am looking for but it returns the following:

"Last password on 00-04-56-xx-xx-xx was 'admin'. Enter new password:"

No matter what I enter at this point I get "%Error: Incorrect password"

@Matt Hopkins wrote:

Is it possible to start an ssh session from an ssh session in a cnPilot AP?

'service start-shell' looks to be what I am looking for but it returns the following:

"Last password on 00-04-56-xx-xx-xx was 'admin'. Enter new password:"

No matter what I enter at this point I get "%Error: Incorrect password"

this is not currently supported today, but we can look to add it in our next firmware release.

Out of curiosity: why are you looking to ssh FROM an AP?

On occasion, a customer calls with a percieved issue with their managed WiFi. I may have no visibility or access into their local network other than what is shown in cnMaestro. Currently, for managed WiFi accounts we use a competitors APs but are seriously considering a move to cnPilot. On these other units this "Debug Terminal" is a feature to debug the local network. From their management portal you have CLI access to the AP via STUN, then can ssh to other devices allowing you to reboot something or poke around a bit and find the real issue. It has just been really handy a few times.

@Matt Hopkins wrote:

On occasion, a customer calls with a percieved issue with their managed WiFi. I may have no visibility or access into their local network other than what is shown in cnMaestro. Currently, for managed WiFi accounts we use a competitors APs but are seriously considering a move to cnPilot. On these other units this "Debug Terminal" is a feature to debug the local network. From their management portal you have CLI access to the AP via STUN, then can ssh to other devices allowing you to reboot something or poke around a bit and find the real issue. It has just been really handy a few times.

thanks for the details here, this is indeed a useful troubleshooting option.

We are adding this ability to ssh from one AP to another device, to our upcoming 4.0 release, you should see it in a beta build in the next few days on the support site (in the beta section) and releasing mid-Oct.

2 Likes

Hi.

There is a SSH option to connect to other devices now in 4.0 version, nice job. But we still can't use this option through cnMaestro as Matt Hopkins asked before.

When I try to use this command I get to the part that I have to enter password via cnMaestro debugging, but can't since command is already running ("In Progress..."). 

Now I can't input password and can not connect to anything further. Could you please look into that? Or should I contact cnMaestro team?

Kind regards

We are thinking on long term solution to put SSH connection directly to AP from cnMaestro even when AP is deployed behind the NAT box. Advanced Remote CLI from cnMaestro can't be used / designed for interactive commands. We had put mainly to run non interactive CLIs.

2 Likes

This would definitely be a useful feature, we currently have half of our sites with Mikrotiks to allow this sort of functionality, being able to initiate it via cnmaestro on an AP would be a significant plus for our clients when they are experiencing hard-to-diagnose problems.

What’s the solution to the service start-shell prompting for a password but never accepting anything?

“service start-shell” command is used for troubleshooting purpose and only Cambium engineering team will have the access to shell prompt.