Starting Training, New to Cambium

Hello all!

New to cambium!

Looking very closely into cambium network products. Have used products in the past such as; Mikrotik, Cisco, UBNT, Mimosa, AirSpan, BiCells, Siklu, Ceragon, FS and Dragonwave.

Have deployed some Ceragons which if I'm not mistaken is the same equipment for the licensed frequency that Cambium uses.

The main reason I'm looking at Cambium is for the CBRS radios and looking for a new rural wireless deployment. 5Ghz/2.4Ghz/900Mhz. Such as the PMP450i, PMP450m, ePMP 3000 platforms. Having a hard time deciding which one to jump on and use.

• Have a HIGHLY noisy tower was looking at PMP405i for that location
  • The rural area has two WISPs both, 1 has UBNT AC Gen2, other is ancient cambium gear. Have not check the noise floor in the area yet. Imagine there will be noise. Checking the ePMP 3000 for that area
  • Bulletproof backhaul, have several airFiber24 in the field and they have massive issues with brown outs. Wondering if the cambium equivalent has the same effect.

Using the LinkPlanner to figure out what settings I need to accomplish my goals in my areas.

Really trying to figure out which platform to deploy for long term. cnMaestro seems like a very solid solution and flexible to have it either in the cloud or self-hosted.

Is there any integrations to a CRM or Payment portal?

Thanks!

Welcome to the community!

Not sure I can answer all of your questions in a single response, but we can keep the conversation going here...

First, Cambium's philosophy is around the wireless fabric. We believe in having the right wireless solution for each and every use case. Based on the conditions, spectrum availability, use case, and growth plans, you should be able to find a "match" in Cambium's portfolio for each piece of your business.

Regarding CBRS specfically, the PMP 450 platform is Cambium's solution in that space. 450, 450i and cnMedusa (450m) are all avaialble to operate in this band and can be as scalable as necessary, depending on customer density and throughput requirements.

Regarding cnMaestro, your observation is spot on. It's a highly functional monitoring and configuration tool, with advanced troubleshooting and tools to help manage your network. It covers all of the Cambium products, and has RESTful API's and NBI capabilities to provide CRM and billing tools with what they need for integration. There are many users on here that have successfully integrated billing tools like Sonar, Powercode and Azotel (though not limited to these, these are very popular packages for this sort of thing among WISP customers).

Keep the questions coming and we'll help as much as possible.

Cambium has been on the front lines of CBRS, probably more so then any other manufacturer I've worked with. As Matt mentioned all of their 450 product lines is CBRS compatible, which makes it much easier to figure out what you can deploy. Do you currently have one of the old NN licenses, or are you going to need CBRS out of the gate?

CBRS is right around the corner... there's a lot of talk about launching in September here, so if you don't have an NN license, you won't have to wait long to deploy hopefully. I also assume that you've read up on CBRS requirements, getting your professional installer certification, and understand the SAS fee's?

AF24's are usually pretty good links if they're engineered correctly. We have quite a few of them. You either must be in a very very rainy area and/or you're doing some long distances with them. ATM Cambium doesn't have any really cost effective 24GHz or MM wave backhauls, but they're working on some new stuff that will be out later this year.

If you have licensed spectrum available in your area, like 11 or 18GHz... then it's a great time to be buying PTP820 as they're heavily discounted (or going to be soon IIRC). These backhauls are bullet proof.

AND YES! Using LinkPlanner is a great way to figure out how different platforms will work and getting you a list of all the parts you need.

Lastly, I'd highly encourage you to reach out to your Cambium regional sales manager (RSM) to go over your needs, and they can often times work with you on pricing, give you direct tech support tips, demos, etc.

1 Like

Eric, what is the Professional Installer Certification requirement? Where do we apply? Thank you