Stuck in VLAN land...

Ok, I’m a complete newbie to this whole canopy thing. I’ve read about 70% of the user guide and understood about 10%. But right now I’m testing different configurations between one AP and one SM. Everything was going fine until I cough accidentally set up a VID #5 on the AP and SM. :roll: Now I can’t ping the two units or access the web interface. Yet, they strangely seem to still talk to one another. My question in this: is there anyway to access these units without using the override plug? Or am I forced to do the inevitable? I don’t know much about VLANs (among other things) so any help would be appreciated. Thanks :wink:

Have you tried to telnet into either one? That may help get into them. Or not if you can’t even ping them.

How do you know they are talking? Are they passing data?

What is your management VID#? Does your computer NIC support VLANs? Try to set up a VID on your NIC.

Thanks for the replies guys. I just made up a couple override plugs and reset the settings to the factory defaults.

Moose, I did try to telnet into them, but yeah, ping and telnet wasn’t working. I wasn’t sure if there was someway to tap into the little “accidental” VLAN I created.

Marwill, I believe my management VID # was 5. I’m not sure if my NIC supports VLANs or how I would even find out if it did. I guess I better find out for the future huh?

Thank God these weren’t deployed. Luckily we (my company) are still in pre-deployment/marketing mode. It’s my job to research this stuff and see how it works (God help my company). :roll:

Thanks anyway for the help!

If the management vid of AP/SM is 5 and if your NIC does not support 802.1q vlan then the AP/SM can be accessed only through manageable switch.Just plug the AP/SM and your PC in the same vlan(VLAN 5 configured in manageable switch) and from your PC you can access AP/SM

To add vlan 5 in cisco switch
switch#vlan database
switch(vlan)#vlan 5 name test
switch(vlan)#exit

to make port fa0/x member of vlan 5
switch#config t
switch(config)int fa0/x
switch(config-if)switchport access vlan 5

You need to configure at least 2 ports to be member of vlan 5 to access AP/SM from your PC

Mercantile@Nepal wrote:
If the management vid of AP/SM is 5 and if your NIC does not support 802.1q vlan then the AP/SM can be accessed only through manageable switch.Just plug the AP/SM and your PC in the same vlan(VLAN 5 configured in manageable switch) and from your PC you can access AP/SM

To add vlan 5 in cisco switch
switch#vlan database
switch(vlan)#vlan 5 name test
switch(vlan)#exit

to make port fa0/x member of vlan 5
switch#config t
switch(config)int fa0/x
switch(config-if)switchport access vlan 5

You need to configure at least 2 ports to be member of vlan 5 to access AP/SM from your PC

this is incorrect. Access ports are not tagged and therefore would not give you access to the AP/SM that expecting the vlan5 tag.

You have to do the following:
conf t
int fa0/x
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk native vlan 1
switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,5
switchport mode trunk
exit

This will tag the vlan 5 traffic (vlan 1 is untagged as it is native) and give you access the AP. The SM can then be accessed over vlan 5 as well, or though the AP via LUID select.