stupid errors

as a spin off from
http://motorola.canopywireless.com/supp … =5911#5911

what is the most silliest gotchas you have had…

about 3 weeks ago while hunting down the generator of the arp traffic, at 3 in the morning we decided that we should reboot all our traffic… so we started with the furthes out and worked our way in…

rebooting each CMM at a time, waiting for it to come back and then the next…

Murphey law, rebooted the last one, doesn’t come back… my collegue and I could not believe it… waited 20mins brouught up a backup link to redirec traffic and then decided to go up, so I climbed the tower half aslepp, 80ft, opened the CMM all ports dead, a couple of green lights on, so I flick the switch, putting it into default and asked my collegue to power cycle it, in default mode everything powers up…

call in the office ask what they see, and they tell us that all network is down, we turn of the CMM and everything comes back, take it out of default mode and nothing… did this a couple of times… final diagnosis CMM is faulty so we need to go back and get a new CMM
climb all the way down…

before leaving speaking to my collegue, and he points out that it does not make sense that in default mode the switch would be powering up… and then it dawned, a couple of days earlier while our guys were working, they must have accidently flicked the switch, we reboot it and it comes up in default mode, NO POWER, i climb up flick switch thinkiing I am defaulting it, when i am actually bringing it back, equipment comes up, as our backup link and primary link are now up a loop is reated and network goes down…

so I climb the tower again to undefault it…

I got one. LOL. Happened just recently.

I have a customer who lives three miles outta town. Nice enough, but when the inet is not working, you know the horrors that lie beneath…

Anyways, she has been calling me at least once every two or three days, complaining about how crappy the speed is. “Huh?” I remoted into my server, check the AP, and see that she is connected usually with a 1540/3/-67. My link test produce 97/100. Cant be our service, I conclude. All looks good and we have plenty of bandwidth.

I called her and ran through the usual “spayware hunt”, and was convinced I had licked it after a few spyware removals. But she continued to call. I go out, several times. Alignment is good, dish is secure, power is clean. I even check the stats on her intel NIC. All looks perfect. Exhasperated, I was sitting on her roof with my partner, scratching my head, concluding it must be karma, because the spectrum analysis shows us clean on our freq. As we stared blankly at our tower just 3.1 miles away, my partner makes the comment, "wow, sure are a lotta big trucks on that highway."

I look at him, I look at the trucks, I position myself level with the dish and stare, for like 5 minutes.

That was it, the damn 18wheelers, when training, were causing reregistrations! We put up a tripod and elevated 6 feet, and she hasn’t called since.