Stupid Linksys

why are they discontinuing the WRT-54g. argh. now i have to start a seach and find a different router to deploy. :roll:

I’ve been putting in the DLinks with ZERO problems.

yeah me too, i never had good luck with linksys though.

VLAN1 wrote:
why are they discontinuing the WRT-54g. argh. now i have to start a seach and find a different router to deploy. :roll:

Where did you hear they were discontinuing the WRT54G?

I sure can't find anything along those lines anywhere.....and there appears to be plenty in the supply chain, although we're using the WRT54GL.

-forrest

I use the GL’s and Dlink WBR1310’s. Our supplier has plenty of GL’s in stock still as well.

forrestc wrote:
[quote="VLAN1":3rkrjlw3]why are they discontinuing the WRT-54g. argh. now i have to start a seach and find a different router to deploy. :roll:

Where did you hear they were discontinuing the WRT54G?

I sure can't find anything along those lines anywhere.....and there appears to be plenty in the supply chain, although we're using the WRT54GL.

-forrest[/quote:3rkrjlw3]

our account rep with CDW

so i decided to go straight to the horses mouth and call linksys. they are replacing it with the WRT-54G with the WRT-54GL . stupid CDW…

they are replacing the WRT54G with the WRT54GL?

Does that mean a price drop on the GL’s? That would be sweet.

The GL’s with DD-WRT are amazing.

GL’s running DDWRT rock. I use them at our main and branch offices running RADIUS authentication and WPA2 for the field techs and sales force…

I know even just running a GL with OEM software solves most of the problems due to the extra memory in the unit.

I will agree though about the price. They are overly expensive for what they do when you provide them to your average user.

VLAN1 wrote:
so i decided to go straight to the horses mouth and call linksys. they are replacing it with the WRT-54G with the WRT-54GL . stupid CDW.......

Taking the above into consideration, both CDW and Linksys reps that you spoke with are incorrect. :?

The WRT54G is slowly being phased out and replaced by the WRT54G2. The WRT54GL is simply a WRT54G v4 w/ Linux firmware, removable antennas, 16MB ram, and 4MB flash memory. I don't see it being discontinued anytime soon. At least I hope not. :wink:

I've been loading DD-WRT on some of our WRT54G v8 or 8.2's (what we have been receiving from our suppliers) that we deploy during a Canopy install. Being able to boost Xmit power comes in real handy, and WDS is another nifty feature. :D

I’m leery about deploying DDWRT on customers routers…

In my mind it means that I have to now support them for free.

With the linksys and dd-wrt, does it allow you to take signal from an ap and rebroadcast it via the wireless of teh linksys? I have a buffalo unit that I have dd-wrt loaded and all it will do is connect to an ap via the wireless and then bridge to the lan ports. Guess I am looking for something to do what the pepwave or deliberant 2150( in universal repeater mode) will do…

You’re looking for WDS mode…

Where do you all source your routers from? I have people asking me to sell them one all the time, nearest walmart or store is 3 hours away.

What kind of margins do you typically see when you resell them?

Thanks,
Ben

we buy in bulk from CDW. generally make 5-10 per and go through about 20-30 a month

Newegg had the WRT54G (v8/8.2) for $29.99 with free 3 day ship a few weeks ago. Right now they are $39.99 shipped.

Which version of DD-WRT are you using with the 54GL? I started with V23 and upgraded to V23sp2 which helped stability. Has anyone paid Bryanslayer for V24? If so, how is it working?

I like DD-WRT a lot, and still have a few V23 routers out there, but I’m a big fan of x-wrt. Easy to configure and hugely configurable, since it’s basically a very well done web GUI on top of OpwnWRT. Lots of packages available to expand it in many different ways.