Sudden 10Mbps speed drop

Hello guys,

The Ethernet Status of a SM has suddenly dropped from 100 Mbps to 10 Mbps. All the other SMs are at 100 Mbps as always.

The option Port Setting under both SMs and AP is setted on Auto-Negotiate. If I set in on Manual (on the SM in question) and I set 100 Mbps, then it works, but since I use a router (so I plug the ethernet cable from PoE to the WAN port of router), I noticed that I can't get internet working in this way, I'm forced to use router as just an access point, I don't know why.

I can't understand this drop, everything was working fine but suddenly on this SM has received this drop. What can I do?

Thanks!

Have you tried replacing the wire?

Had 2 SM same problems they switched to 10mpbs both, it was a faulty wire.

Thanks 

Water in the jacket of the wire ?

Thanks for the replies guys.
To be honest, you made me remember that this problem occured shortly after an heavy bad rain here I believe, also a bolt dropped really really close to the SM’s house… might be something damaged then?

But then, even if by putting it on Manual 100Mbps it shouldn’t work if that’s the case, right?

@MaGabi wrote:
To be honest, you made me remember that this problem occured shortly after an heavy bad rain here I believe, also a bolt dropped really really close to the SM's house.. might be something damaged then?

But then, even if by putting it on Manual 100Mbps it shouldn't work if that's the case, right?

You can try putting it at manual 100mbps, but this will probably not fix the issue and if it's working at 10mbps now, it may make things even slower/worse forcing it to 100mbps. In our experience, when this happens, it's one of these things in order of frequency:

• Client's ethernet port is damaged (usually WAN port on router is damaged)
  • ePMP SM's ethernet port is damaged
  • Cable or connector issue

hola, en uno de mis equipos sucede exactamente lo mismo. de un momento a otro de la nada se cambia la configuracion. si reinicio el equipo vuelve a funcionar normal. 

personalmente creo que es un problema del firmware

@Eric Ozrelic wrote:

@MaGabi wrote:
To be honest, you made me remember that this problem occured shortly after an heavy bad rain here I believe, also a bolt dropped really really close to the SM's house.. might be something damaged then?

But then, even if by putting it on Manual 100Mbps it shouldn't work if that's the case, right?

You can try putting it at manual 100mbps, but this will probably not fix the issue and if it's working at 10mbps now, it may make things even slower/worse forcing it to 100mbps. In our experience, when this happens, it's one of these things in order of frequency:

Hi Eric,

Yeah, after some tests it seems that the problem is caused from the WAN port of the router..

If I put Auto-Negotiate and then I plug the ethernet cable on LAN port of router instead of WAN, then I get 100 Mbps. Now I see also why if I put Manual 100 Mbps and use WAN I get no internet, and instead if I put Manual 10 Mbps still on WAN then it works. Now it makes sense.

Just bad luck I guess? I have no idea how it got damaged.. probably that bad weather in some way. I'll try to do a factory reset on Router or a firmware change but I really doubt it will change something.. but you know, there's no harm in trying :)

Same issue here, solved by replacing the cable!

@MaGabi wrote:

@Eric Ozrelic wrote:

@MaGabi wrote:

Hi Eric,

Yeah, after some tests it seems that the problem is caused from the WAN port of the router..

If I put Auto-Negotiate and then I plug the ethernet cable on LAN port of router instead of WAN, then I get 100 Mbps. Now I see also why if I put Manual 100 Mbps and use WAN I get no internet, and instead if I put Manual 10 Mbps still on WAN then it works. Now it makes sense.

Just bad luck I guess? I have no idea how it got damaged.. probably that bad weather in some way. I'll try to do a factory reset on Router or a firmware change but I really doubt it will change something.. but you know, there's no harm in trying :)

be sure to install surge suppressor near the utility entrance in the home (its NEC code in the US).   its won't stop all of it, but it will reduce the chances of this happening and protect yours and the customer's equipment against near strikes.   direct hits will still blow all the gear.   and of course, this can from time to time happen from bad luck.  glad you solved it!