T1/E1 to Ethernet Coverters

I have a set of the Arranto 100TE converters on stock. I have tried them, with the help of Redux, and I am not happy with them - to the point that they have never left my shop. Using the setup tool provided by Redux, I have put the units to test using 2 T1 test sets and 2 20Mbps BH radios. They work okay until I try to run any ethernet trraffic through their built in switch and I get massive bit errors in the T1 lines. Just the other day I did the same test with the 45 Mbps BH, min 10Mbps allocated ot the T1 lines, and the same thing, but not as bad.

Has anyone had any success with these units (they are mentied in the Canopy Affiliates pages) or any success with the T1/E1 box put out by Canopy?

I have alarge project coming up that will require POTS lines transported by the Canopy network and I need a solution.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

I’m not familiar with the units you are talking about, but I am currently working on a project with many voice lines (E&M) running over an IP network. I am using RAD IPMux and Megaplex products. These units work exceptionally well as long as you give them enough bandwidth (there is a formula for calculating frame sizes that must be checked out beforehand, especially if you are looking to run other traffic over the network). The IPMux is good for 4 lines or less, but use the Megaplex if you are looking to run more.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I do have two sets of IPmux’s on order (should be here next week) for testing. Good to hear you have used them and they work. You mentioned the formula for frame sizes and bandwidth, is that in the RAD manual or somewhere else?

Thanks again for the help. :smiley:

Aaron

Aaron,

The formula is in the RAD manual. TDM bytes per frame is the main key to bandwidth, but it can add delay. You are using BH units, so it won’t be a problem, but DON’T use AP units. I tried an AP/SM setup with no success. My thoughts are AP’s are set up to look for 200 SM’s so the RX slot window is not wide enough to properly regenerate the clock even with the bandwidth set to near symmetrical up and down.

Dave

Much thanks again Dave. One more question to bug you. Have you tried cascading the IPmux to add more phone lines? Possibly for future expansion.

Aaron,

Yes, I have. Actually, I have 3 remote receiver sites, each with 3 IPMuxes. Two of them come in to our main transmitter site and the other IPMux from each site goes into a secondary transmitter site. Then I have an IPMux from the main to connect to the secondary site for console use. All together, about 20 IPMuxes are in the system. If I had to do it all over again, I would use the Megaplex, also from RAD. It is a scalable solution, having multiple cardslots for voice, ethernet, fiber, etc. But you can have multiple IPMuxes, up to as much bandwidth you can spare. Just remember to double your bandwidth calculations for full duplex and that unused slots still transmit data.

Dave

Excellent Dave. Thanks a whole bunch for the info. I should have some interesting weeks coming up putting together a large system. So far, testing has gone quite well. :smiley:

Thanks again for your help.

You’re welcome Aaron. Good luck with your project!

Dave