TDD.....How it works?

Not sure on this so here’s the questions…

I have an Advantage AP 5.7GHz with a lan backhaul (i.e. approx 100Mbps) and currently 20 customers, most are on 1,2 or 6 Mbps conections. Due to the TDD and theoretically could each customer, at the same time, receive the 14Mbps max throughput of the advantage SM’s??

The 14Mbps throughput is an aggregate for the entire access point. The realistic throughput varies due to the RF conditions for each customer. Some people will get better service than others. The only way your customers will be able to all simultaneously get 14Mbps aggregate is for each to have their own access point. That’s probably not in the business plan…

eh no!

So does the radio communicate with each SM at the same time? I assumed the radio split up the send and receive slots for each SM?

Of course the slots are split between each SM. And yes, each SM that can talk at the 2X modulation rate is talking at 14Mb/s.

But that doesn’t mean the user gets anywhere near 14Mb/s throughput.

The RF medium is shared, so some time slots get used for AP -> SM1, AP -> SM2, SM1 -> AP, etc.

Your aggregate rate is 14Mb/s shared between everyone on the sector. It’s also shared with ‘guard time’ which is the dead time between transmissions, to give the previously transmitting radio time to switch from transmit to receive.

This is implemented as a half duplex medium shared by everyone, much like the original ethernet where everyone had to wait for the same medium. Your access point is not a switch. Your customers don’t each have individual, discrete paths to the AP. They all use the same spectrum.

Vivato had a cool idea with their “wireless switch” but it was never commercially viable, they lost money on every unit sold. They took a military planar phased array antenna design with hundreds or thousands of individual “sectors”, and used the individual elements in it at full 36dBm PtP (not 30dBm PtMP) power which they could do because the sector size was 30 degrees or less, which was considered PtP and not PtMP.

Which ever element got the best RX level from a particular client would be the element to transmit back to that client. It was slick, and also dead in the water. This is the closest that you’ll come to what you want.