Thinking About Switching To Cambium

We've been using the 2ghz verson a lot. and its been wonderful. 

we deployed 180 ubnt 2ghz stations/beams/rockets for cpes in a tight area, self interference was a major problem.    getting more than 15 subs on AP was a problem.       on the backhaul feeding the area, we would only see 70 to 100 meg at night, and of course getting angry customers over speed. 

we've nearly completely changed that area to cambium 2ghz,     since then,    we are delivering speeds up to 15 mbps, on 10 mhz channels dependably through peak. 

1) we are able to install subs as low as 75 db and get good speeds.      self interference is almost gone.  

2)we stopped using channel 1 completely and all sub routers are there. 

3)our backhaul load has tripled in time we've started the changing the equipment

4)speed complaints have stopped.   

in town, we've used the 5ghz to offer speeds up to 50 meg with solid, consistant delivery.  

one other thing the EPMP can do , the UBNT can't do, if you want to give bandwidth prioty to a sub you can,   the ubnt you can give it a little more prefrence, but you cant truely assign priorty. 

3 Likes

Thanks for this.  I run mostly 2.4 gear due to trees. They're all short-range: <1km  but I have already seen the problem with UBNT Rockets handling only 10-15 clients well.  If one client drops to -72, forget it. 

Most feedback on Cambium is the 5GHz, so I'm looking for 2.4 success stories.

- New member,  glad to be here.

@robgmann wrote:

Thanks for this.  I run mostly 2.4 gear due to trees. They're all short-range: <1km  but I have already seen the problem with UBNT Rockets handling only 10-15 clients well.  If one client drops to -72, forget it. 

Most feedback on Cambium is the 5GHz, so I'm looking for 2.4 success stories.

- New member,  glad to be here.

we are mostly 2.4    and the performance is hardly comparable to UBNT.    we get solid, constant performance from the cambium hardware.   a -72 sub is just fine.  (with low noise)  my personal connection athome is a 2.4ghz force 200, i'm registered at -77 down and see 25 meg off peak and 12 to 15 during peak.   noise to my home is pretty good.  my uplinkis 73 and the noise at the tower is higher, so i normally get 1 to 3 meg up.    

the biggest things epmp can offer you over UBNT is GPS (works wonders) and a solid frame (1 sub can't trash your sector)    

the    GPS cures self uplink interference from CO band APs. you can also recycle channels. 

the MAC is broken up by time rather than through put.    the schedule gives each CPE a slice of time to talk, and when to talk.    

UBNT isn't so well organized (thats why to many subs kill them)  they still use CSMA    in other words, 10 children yelling at the teacher all at once, things work smoothly when each kid waits there turn ;) 

thanks to that GPS, and the solid MAC that i over simplified, when the noise floor allows, which i've found you are normally your own worst enemy when it comes to noise. you can run to significantly lower RSSIs while providing decent service.   attached is an AP with very weak subs, I'm personally one of them. 

I've shared plenty of stories on the forum from our use of 2.4 including duel band sectors and i'll answer anything i can for you.  welcome to cambium!    you'll love it here.

here is the performance by modulations on my CPE

1 Like

http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/ePMP-Stories/Transition-from-UBNT-to-Cambium/m-p/55801#U55801

Switched over to Cambium in a troubled community. Absolutely happy with the results!

1 Like

for slow GUI problem Paolo, please change Configuration > System > Web Page update to 20 instead default 5 value.

Hello

I changed my network of over 1500 members from ubnt to cambium I will never look back. The new epmp 1000 and 2000 equipment works very well compared to  ubnt. I was a long time canopy user  been waiting for cambium to launch there latest equipment. My techs just put up 3, 450I 900mhz APs and started switching over the old ubnt 900 I am quite amazed on how these new 900 radios are working. We have some subscribers who went from -78db with very high noise floor to -60db with little to no interference after tweaking our old aps. We also experienced a throughtput increase of over 20 mbps compared to 4mbps on the ubnt. Switching to Cambium from ubnt was the best decision our company has done. Since our launch in 2000. 

Cheers

Mike

2 Likes