To Canopy Support, RE: 8.1.5

Can you please put 8.1.5 on the website!

Does anyone from Canopy support read these forums?

I just asked canopy support recently about when 8.1.5 would be released and they said that they haven’t set a release date yet.

I would recommend people with P9 SMs to just stay with 7.3.6 for now and upgrade once 8.1.5 is released.

Nathan

dats wrote:
Does anyone from Canopy support read these forums?

Once in a while you'll see a response from Canopy Support, but Jerry and the others have contributed far more. Moto should be paying them.

After the Canopy users conference (Animal Farm) in SLC I got the impression they were about to put up 8.1.5.1 on the web site.

But now I’m thinking they might wait to skip that version and put up 8.2.

I think 8.1.5 and 8.1.5.1 are for production runs going out the door (and fixing those related issues).

From the sticky at the top of the list:

http://motorola.canopywireless.com/supp … ic.php?t=6

Missing your point Jerry, enlighten me.

The question was if anyone from Canopy supported the forum. Just pointing him to the sticky

I’m not sure, but I think he may have been implying sarcasm =P.

What Jerry is saying is that it has been indicated many :? many times in this forum that this is a USER community and is NOT considered a formal support tool. There are a few Motorola contacts that may have input here but it is not on a regular basis as time does not always permit. If you require direct, formal, technical support you should be contacting Motorola using the usual channels.
:smiley:

Aaron

I agree.

And of course no one in here has any kind of sarcastic sense of humour. :shock: This is all serious business here… 8)

Aaron

Sarcasm is tough to detect in text. I’ve read several studies that the tone of most text based communications is misinterpreted over %50 of the time.

tlsarles wrote:
Sarcasm is tough to detect in text. I've read several studies that the tone of most text based communications is misinterpreted over %50 of the time.

In keeping with that premise, did you also know that 63% of statistics are made up on the spot?

it looks like 8.1.5.1 was posted 2/5. really read the release notes para 1.1.
do not go directly to 8.1.5.1 without doing 8.1.4 first. i questioned tech support about this and that is the way it is.

George
COMTek

Ummmm . . .

Am I the only one that thinks having to upgrade to 8.1.4 first is kind of missing the point? I mean, what happens when the uplink ethernet port on my Micro locks up, or some weirdness like that?

I’ve been waiting for 8.1.5.1 for about three months so I could AVOID having to deal with 8.1.4 weirdness, no? And now I have to do that unadvisable 8.1.4 update anyway.

Making the BIG assumption that I will, I would like to ask, well in advance of hosing up half my network: Whose bright idea was that?

I never followed Moto rules for upgrade, or downgrade and never had any problems at all.

Where can I view release notes for the last couple of releases without downloading the software release?

newcastle wrote:
Ummmm . . .

Am I the only one that thinks having to upgrade to 8.1.4 first is kind of missing the point? I mean, what happens when the uplink ethernet port on my Micro locks up, or some weirdness like that?

I've been waiting for 8.1.5.1 for about three months so I could AVOID having to deal with 8.1.4 weirdness, no? And now I have to do that unadvisable 8.1.4 update anyway.

Making the BIG assumption that I will, I would like to ask, well in advance of hosing up half my network: Whose bright idea was that?

Exactly what happened to me. I'm using a test kit (1 AP , 2 SMs) and have one of the 2 SMs in place as a backhaul. Going through the SM ---> to the AP I upgraded the AP to 8.1.4 (prep for 8.1.5.1) and all went ok. Actually there was some weirdness with the AP showing the wrong Ver in CNUT but a reboot fixed all of that.

Anyway, I upgraded the SM to 8.1.4 next and everything looked good until CNUT reported the unit timed out while verifying. From that point on I could not get a ethernet connection to the SM. I'm on a switch with the SM so I plugged the SM into my laptop. Still nothing , the ethernet was dead.

I went outside and pulled the cover on the SM and everything was lit good. Looked like it was passing traffic. Back inside I tried various switches and and nothing, the ethernet just acted like it was dead.

I had the second SM in my rig so I got it out set it up right under the other SM. I got into the AP via the 2nd SM and from there I could see the first SM was working fine other than the problem with the ethernet.

I got into the first SM from the AP .I removed all the checks except for 10bt hd and it didn't work. I tried each and every speed, nothing worked. I put back to all of them selected (something I normally did not do because of problems I had while running 7.2 and 7.3 but I read in the upgrade notes something to the effect turning them back on before upgrading to 8.1.4 , so I did).

Anyway, after I set them all back to checked and rebooted. The ehternet port came back up and thing started working again. When I upgraded the second SM it did not have any problems.

So far it hasn't done anything else strange but I'm about afraid of 8.1.5.1 now.
vans wrote:
Where can I view release notes for the last couple of releases without downloading the software release?

ftp://canopy:canopypass@digitron.on.net.mk/doc