totally block bittorrent

ok so im blocking defult ports of bittorrent TCP 6881-6889
but bittorrent still go’s to the next port open is there no way to block it?

…we put that we block bittorrent in the contract the customers sign but a lot dont know what thay are doing and when thay do i get 100 phone calls
saying the wi-fi is slower then dial-up

thanks for the help :smiley:

You’ll most likely need some kind of packet analyzer/packet shaper to effectively throttle/block bittorrent. Packeteer is the big name in the game but I know Mikrotik offers a built-in solution that works fairly well.

Unless you’re going to use a L7 firewall filter in MT it doesn’t filter any better than anything else. If you are going to run L7 filters better have a beefy box to run it on as it is very CPU intensive.

Yeah - I wasn’t sure how MT handled BT as I don’t use it. One of my colleagues used it for other P2P services and it was working alright.

Bit Torrent is a tough animal. It will tear up Alvarion in a hurry too…

forgot to tell you that i am using NETEQ wich the guys at NETEQ tell be if i set globle limits to 40 20 up 20 down that this will fix my problem and set my servers to a limit of 3000 but i would rather totaly block bittorint then make evryone suffer

As mentioned, you are going to need some type of bandwidth shaping appliance.

There are some free solutions out there,
MikroTik on a PC - pretty well supported, used by alot of WISPs.

then there are Linux based systems that all pretty much provide a nice GUI to manage the Linux system (i.e. don’t need to learn command-line)

IPCop
MasterShaper
Untangle - looks promising
Smoothwall

Does your NetEq do any sort of flow tracking? My favorite method of keeping P2P apps at bay is conversation limiting combined with bandwidth profiles on our SMs. We’re mostly a PPPoE shop as it is (soon to be completely PPPoE) and this is quite easy for us to do. The general flow limit is 200 per customer - this will grind BitTorrent to a halt quite effectively when it tries to connect to a dozen trackers and a few hundred peers. The great thing is that Torrenting Customer X will call in to complain that they can’t surf, support tells them to turn down BitTorrent (or off completely), and it magically works again! Leaves a lasting impression.

Also we combine these with bandwidth plans so what connections are running can’t take over the AP.

Missed the part about NetEQ. set the limits as recommended and the 8et?q box will do its job.

Totally blocking a service is bad practice as it opens you up to complaints around net neutrality.

better to allow the service in a shaped manner and you have just the box to do it.

okay thanks for the help

Jerry Richardson wrote:
then there are Linux based systems that all pretty much provide a nice GUI to manage the Linux system (i.e. don't need to learn command-line)

IPCop
MasterShaper
Untangle - looks promising
Smoothwall

Zeroshell is another free live distro, very nice and effective for Layer7 QoS.
http://www.zeroshell.net
Jerry Richardson wrote:
Missed the part about NetEQ. set the limits as recommended and the 8et?q box will do its job.

Totally blocking a service is bad practice as it opens you up to complaints around net neutrality.

better to allow the service in a shaped manner and you have just the box to do it.

This is true. "Equalizing" seems to be a much safer practice when it comes to net neutrality. You may get complaints from heavy users, but if you're just making things fair for everyone, there's not much they can say.

Ask Comcast -- http://netequalizer.wordpress.com/2008/ ... e-opinion/