Tower - AP - SM - Router hierarchy

Whenever we on board a router it automatically falls under the SM that it is attached to.

I have some PTP450i and ePMP force 180 point to points that have a Cisco 350 gigabit switch between the router and the radio to control bandwidth and provide end to end monitoring. I have noticed that when I upgraded all the routers firmware (r195W for the most part) to 4.7.1 that the routers that have a cisco switch between them and the radio no longer fall under the radio they are connected to. It is still in the same network but no longer under that radio. With the old firmware on the router they were just fine.

There is no access list or anything else being blocked in the cisco switch. Is there something else that may be blocking the router from detecting the radio that has changed from the 4.6 to the 4.7.1 firmware when connecting through a switch? The only ones that are not falling under the radio seem to be the ones that have a switch inline.

Hello Mr. Jonathan,

on my R201P, the router does not fall under my PMP 450i Subscriber Module it is connected to. I had to create a site as my residence and add that router. My PMP 450i SM fall under the PMP 450i Access Point tree it is connected too.

In your case, open a ticket with Cambium Networks to assist you further.

Sincerely yours,

Niragira Olympe

So far all of the ones I have onboarded have automatically placed themselves under the SM they are connected to. That is assuming that the AP and SM are connected to and have been onboarded to the cnMaestro server. If the AP and SM have not been connected then the router falls into the default group but so far everything places itself where it needs to be other than the ones that have a switch between SM and Router.

Hello Mr. Jonathan,

check with Cambium Networks support team to assist you further.

Sincerely yours,

Niragira Olympe

Hi Jonathan Sulger,
Is there any change in the Cisco switch VLAN configuration ?
And we don’t support this topology (Switch between SM and cnPilot Router) , could you please connect cnPilot Router directly to SM and check ?
-Durga Prasad K

I believe the problem could be related to cdp or lldp.
For test purpose, can you turn off cdp/lldp on cisco switch and reboot devices?

cnPilot Router uses the LLDP for parent MAC discovery which plays important role in tree hierarchy formation with ePMP/PMP AP/SM . So check whether these LLDP packets are sent and received between the SM and the router.

Thanks,
KR.

what is the reason for not being able to simply set parent child relationships where lldp is unavailable? I hate that I have to delete a device to put it back in inventory if we recover it from a site. It would resolve the OPs issue

Hi ,

I can understand your concern and request you to post this in Ideas section so that same can be considered for implementation in future releases.

Thanks,
KR.