Tower Leasing Rates

Just writing to compare existing tower lease rates.
We have several towers deployed with canopy clusters in mid-missouri in which we are paying between $500 and $1000 for space. These rates are for space above 200 Ft.

We recently were quoted $4200 for space on a tower and I am questioning it’s legitamacy. We are about 60 Miles southwest of St. Louis. The tower in question is not in an overly populated area, and is not located within 4 miles of an Interstate. The tower is in between 2 communities with populations of 15K and 10K, although competitition from DSL and Cable are both prevelant.

Has anyone run across a general formula for calculating lease rates. We have been quoted between $0.80 and $1.75 per foot in most circumstances. Most tower owners give us 10-20 Ft of space for deploying the clustered equipment, i.e. 6 Canopy Radios, CMM, and GPS antenna. If we deploy the equipment at say 300’ foot in the air. We would pay at most $575 for that cluster. If we decide to deploy 2 sets of equipment, 900 MHz, and 2.4 GHz, we have been able to receive discounted space. i.e. 275 * $1.50 and 300 * $1.50. Most of our contracts include a backhaul for this price.

Any comments, or comparison rates from other wisps, would be much appreciated.

We consider $1/foot/month reasonable. But then again, we’ve NEVER seen pricing anything close to that on a comercially available lease.

For privately owned towers, we’ve found that the owners find that more then acceptable.

the price is what the market will bear. i have seen $5,000 non-refundable processing fee up front and $1,800 per month on a 200’ stick (think cellular provider) to no up front fee and $100 on a 200’ stick (very rare).

but i do agree with ahull that $1/foot/month is a fair starting point (for non cellular).

We recently were quoted $4200 for space on a tower and I am questioning it's legitamacy.

How tall is this tower at at what level do you want to put your equipment? What equipment are you putting up?

I can tell you that a lot of the dollar amounts being thrown out here for what you guys are paying are DEALS.

Where have you found private site owners that feel $1/foot/month is acceptable? How loaded was their site when you put your equipment on it?

$575/month at the 300' level is also a hell of a good deal, almost too good to be true.

Your general rule for the cost of tower construction is going to be 1000x the rate you feel is reasonable. $1000/foot is the general going rate.

I think we can all agree it is easy to differentiate between the site owners and those who lease space.
zboschert wrote:
Just writing to compare existing tower lease rates.
We have several towers deployed with canopy clusters in mid-missouri in which we are paying between $500 and $1000 for space. These rates are for space above 200 Ft.

We recently were quoted $4200 for space on a tower and I am questioning it's legitamacy. We are about 60 Miles southwest of St. Louis. The tower in question is not in an overly populated area, and is not located within 4 miles of an Interstate. The tower is in between 2 communities with populations of 15K and 10K, although competitition from DSL and Cable are both prevelant.

Has anyone run across a general formula for calculating lease rates. We have been quoted between $0.80 and $1.75 per foot in most circumstances. Most tower owners give us 10-20 Ft of space for deploying the clustered equipment, i.e. 6 Canopy Radios, CMM, and GPS antenna. If we deploy the equipment at say 300' foot in the air. We would pay at most $575 for that cluster. If we decide to deploy 2 sets of equipment, 900 MHz, and 2.4 GHz, we have been able to receive discounted space. i.e. 275 * $1.50 and 300 * $1.50. Most of our contracts include a backhaul for this price.

Any comments, or comparison rates from other wisps, would be much appreciated.

Are you sure they didn't mean $4200 per year? I've never seen any tower rate that high.

Here’s how they decided to figure the leasing cost

6 - 900 MHz AP’s - Deployed at 350’
5.7 GHz Backhaul - Deployed at 340’
GPS Ant - Deployed at 335’
CMM - Deployed at 330’

6 - 2.4 GHz AP’s - Deployed at 315’
GPS Ant - Deployed at 310’
2CMM - Deployed at 300’
5.7 GHz Backhaul - Deployed at 290’

Total allotment 2570’ @ $1.75 per foot = 4497.50

In out other leases, we would have laid things out like this.

6 - 2.4 GHz AP’s - Deployed at 350’
2 CMM’s - Deployed at 340’
6 - 900 MHz AP’s - Deployed at 330’
2 GPS Ant - Deployed at 325’
2 5.7 GHz Backhaul - Deployed at 320’
10 Gauge up to 340’

Equipment deployed with 30’ - 2 Useable RF Spots
Confirms to windloading and iceloading specifications for the area
pricing 325’ * 2 spaces * $1.75 per foot = 1137.50
Although in the past we’ve never paid over $1.00

Has anyone seen someone figure pricing as described? How do you figure pricing?

I pay $100 dollars or give them a free internet link…

and if they really negotiate they can squeeze both out of me…

before you get all high and mighty… I pay $6000 MRC for a T1 on my backbone cost

Like the rest of the economy, I guess it’s all supply and demand. :smiley: We charge a set rate for certain loads, height isn’t really a factor, as long as there is room and the tower can handle the load without modification. And let’s be honest, for every one guy that isn’t willing to pay that price, there is a company that will. 8)

Aaron

And let's be honest, for every one guy that isn't willing to pay that price, there is a company that will.

Very true.