Trouble with Syncpipe/Syncinjector

We’ve been (slowly) getting all of our sites timed. One of the last ones we were planning on using a revB Syncpipe and Syncinjector setup to power an AP and a BHM.

I got everything mounted, cable to the syncpipe ran (less than 10’) and according to the LEDs on the syncinjector it is receiving its GPS pulse. Here’s where the problem comes in:

When I connect my BHM and AP to the unit they don’t work as expected. The AP simply will not power up at all and the BHM complains about no sync. I’m wondering if these units have lost their ability to time via the power port.

A little background as to why I think this: about a year and a half ago this site (fertilizer leg) took a lightning strike. At the time we didn’t know where the lightning actually hit on the leg, but we know that the scales at the bottom of the leg were toast. None of our equipment seemed to show any signs of issues. About 6 months ago they added some additional catwalk to this leg and we had to move out gear around a bit - it was at this time we noticed at the top of our MTI antenna there was a melted hole in the top. We figure it was actually our antenna that took the lightning hit and the lightning arrestor stopped most of the damage before it took out our AP.

The only thing I have yet to try is bring another spare BHM up there and hook it into the unit and see if it can receive sync properly.

Any other suggestions or thoughts?

The circuit that detects sync on the power is pretty fragile. I suspect the strike did it in. Do you have a sync pipe that can sync on the RJ11?

Yeah-

Space is pretty tight in my enclosure up there so I was hoping to reduce the number of power supplies needed, but if I have to I can try some different options. I see that packetflux has a syncconvertor for units with this exact problem.

I’m going to go back up Monday and just verify that the syncinjector is working properly then go from there.

Thanks for the reply.

wifiguy wrote:
When I connect my BHM and AP to the unit they don't work as expected. The AP simply will not power up at all and the BHM complains about no sync. I'm wondering if these units have lost their ability to time via the power port.

Both are symptoms of the power port timing weakness. Some failed units will just not receive sync via the power port even if it is there, and some will not power up at all - it just depends on what part(s) of the circuit has failed.

-forrest