Ubuntu flavor of Link Planner

Please create a Ubuntu flavor of Link Planner ASAP !!!

4 Likes

HI,

When we run on Ubuntu the UI has many issues that will take a great deal of effort to fix. Unfortunately there are highter priority things to work on, particularly since we have only had a handful of users request a Linux version over the years. 

Other Linux users run the Windows version under Wine. This is actually better than the native Linux version since it gives you access to the embedded Google Map view (which isn't available on the native Linux/Mac versions). The only thing you need to watch out for is that clicking the export to Google Earth icon may cause an error, since Wine doesn't know how to open the KML/KMZ files. You can work around this by using the File -> Export -> Google Earth command.

I also find that it runs quicker under Wine than native.

Thanks,

Andy

4 Likes

We'd love to see a native Linux version. I suspect you don't get a lot of requests for Linux versions as users are used to replies like "it's not a priority", or "theres not enough interest" so we just don't bother asking in the first place.

Seems pertty ironic since Linux underpins so many devices that run the internet (including Cambium's products)

So, +1 for me please!

NTB

The reason that we don't release on Linux is because of UI issues that lead to frequent segmentation faults.

We are currently developing a new version of LINKPlanner (no release date planned yet) which is a complete redesign. This version will be available on Linux, but unfortunately we won't be releasing a Linux version of LINKPlanner in its current form.

Thanks,

Andy

+1 from my side for debian :)

That's that's great news, Andrew. Do we have a rough timescale? I'd be happy to part of any beta testing you may be planning

Unfortunately we don't have a release date, it's still early in the process. We're a long way from testing at the moment, but we'll keep you in mind if we plan a beta release.

1 Like

I support the idea of a complete rebuild of LinkPlanner with it natively supporting linux would be great. Using it on a Mac is laggy.

1 Like

any updates?

Not yet unfortunately.

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Ya Lan.

Yep I hear ya as a Linux Mint 18.3 ( soon to be 19.2 ) user myself as a Proud Cambium Partner I have been asking, hoping & wishing for this for about a year now but still no luck, it's strange considering how much Linux under pins Cambium's hardware one whould have thought that it would be the perfect match.

This might come as a suprise but a lot of people are jumping ship from M$ over to Linux the linux community and user group is growing massivley, M$ Win 7 was ok ( I run it in a VM in LM ) but as soon as 10 come around & 7 is gone forget it.

Now I'm not a programmer but considering how many other countless programs have been ported from M$ to Linux I can't imagine that it would be that hard, but ha maybe i'm wrong.

We can only keep hoping.

Regards

Wayne Pryor

Managing Director

Waykat Services 

Melbourne, Australia.

We've still got no plans to offer a Linux version.

Each OS has different bugs and excentricities and we wouldn't have enough Linux users to justify the development effort required.

Thanks,

Andy

+1 from my side for Ubuntu

1 Like

Okay so 2 years later, I suppose the Linux Users still have no hope on this?
I do however think that developers can at least test LinkPlanner in Wine to see what we are dealing with. Lots of Windows software runs without any issues on Linux with Wine.

Hi,

We don’t have time to test on Wine unfortunately. If you want to run LINKPlanner, you should really run Windows, even if it is inside a VM.

We do support MacOS, but it’s better to run the Windows version.

Thanks,

Andy

+1 for native Linux support!

What about scrap the desktop OS versions and build a linkplanner web service accessible by any browser?

Hi Jesse,

That’s the plan, but it will take a while until we can create a web version that is as feature rich as the current desktop version.

Thanks,

Andy

1 Like

Our first release of the online LINKPlanner for PMP is now available, see LINKPlanner V6.0.0 now available in your browser for more details, which is compatible with Linux.