Understanding Registrations Counts

I am trying to clarify my understanding of the difference between “Registration Count” and “Re-Registration Count”. I have read the 13.3 guides and am still left confused. The guide’s definitions are basically the same. Any clarification would be great.

Thanks for the help

Hi,

In case the SM data is already available in the AP the re-reg count is incremented and if there is no information found the reg count is incremented.

I hope this makes it clear?

Please let me know if you need any other information.

Regards

Hardik Patel

Makes perfect sense now. 

Thanks

@dustinmccray wrote:

I am trying to clarify my understanding of the difference between “Registration Count” and “Re-Registration Count”. I have read the 13.3 guides and am still left confused. The guide’s definitions are basically the same. Any clarification would be great.

Thanks for the help

Dustin, Here some info. Hope this helps.

-Charlie

Session Count (Count): This field displays how many times the AP has granted registration to the SM. Typically, this is the sum of Reg Count and Re-Reg Count. However, the result of internal calculation may display here as a value that slightly differs from the sum.

Reg Count: When a SM makes a registration request, the AP checks its local database to see whether it considers the SM to be already registered. If the AP concludes that the SM is not currently in session, then the request increments the value of this field.

Typically, a Re-Reg Count is the case where the SM attempts to register for having lost communication with the AP and the AP has not yet observed the link to the SM as being out of session. Then the AP again grants the registration to the SM and increments the re-registration count.

2 Likes

What is the significance of one value being higher than the other?  For instance, if re-regs are higher than regs, what does that mean from a practical standpoint?

Hi Ted,

If the respective Reg and Re-Reg count are low and are not changing, it means that the link is working fine.
(For example 1 and 0 respectively, meaning that the SM registered and started a stable session once).

If these values are greater than 1 and 0, or they increase while you are monitoring them, this means that you will have to troubleshoot the link.

Regards

Hardik Patel

@Ted Stewart wrote:

What is the significance of one value being higher than the other?  For instance, if re-regs are higher than regs, what does that mean from a practical standpoint?

Ted,

There is not a whole lot of significance from an operator standpoint. The biggest significance is between stable sessions or not stable session, not so much between registrations and re-registrations.

If the link goes bad (due to interference or whatever) which side kills the session depends which side is currently trying to transmit. If there is no downlink data to send, it will take a long time before the AP's keep-alive mechanism terminate the SM's session from the AP. But if there is uplink data trying to be sent and it can not get through, the SM will end the session. It is possible that the SM stops his session, rescans and re-registers before the AP even knew it was  gone. The same way if there is data pending in the downlink and it can not be transmitted the AP will much quicker kill the SM's session.  

But if the SM has a big scan list including multiple channel bandwidths, then the time that it takes to rescan will be longer and it is more likely that the AP already killed the session before he gets back to try and register.

-Charlie

My understanding is that the Registration counter will increase every time a successfully registration occurs with an SM.

So this will increment if the SM is power cycled or is suffering from interference and disconnects from the tower and then successfully reconnects.

Re-reg increment's when the registration fails and another attempt is made.  So If your re-reg counter is incrementing it means that the AP or the SM is unable to successfully complete the initial handshake for the connection.