Using a 3000 instead of 3000L ?

If I connect a 3000AP to a 2x MiMo 65° sector and only use (I assume) Ch0 and CH1 what do I lose besides Multi User and do I gain anything over a 3000L other than the abilty to sync over power, some filters, and being able to power it with 48v ?

It doesn't work correctly out of the box, as the ePMP 3000 is made for 4x4 MIMO sectors and uses all chains to communicate with both AC and N radios.

It won't work correctly without software modifications.

Your gains are the ones you mentioned.

I suggest you to use ePMP 3000 with 4x4 MIMO sectors, or using Omni 4x4 or split sector configuration, and use ePMP 3000L for 2x2 sectors.

2 Likes

Since none of the AC client radios are 4x4 what does the 3000 do with the other two chains besides MU ? 

I even seen a post were someone connected a 3000 to 2 RF-Elements 90° horns pointing 90° from each other and Cambium chimed in and said this would work.  So all of the AC/N radios connecting to that 3000 would only be using 2 chains from whichever horn they were connecting to. 

So given that, if they never had any customer radios connect to the 2nd horn, then they have no MU happening (since that would required AC radios on each horn to take advantage of MU) and the effect would be the same as having only  Ch0 and CH1 connected since the horn connected to CH2 and CH3 is doing nothing, correct ?

Hi brubble,

connecting two horns it will work, but you won't benefit from MU-MIMO as Dmitry said if they're in the same direction.

All MU-MIMO benefits you can have using split sector (different directions pointing) are for F300 clients only. If you use only F180/F190/F200 you won't have any benefit from MU-MIMO.

That's what I said/ask initially, what is the downside of 2x vs 4x other than just no MU since none of the clients, AC or N , are 4x and since the 3000 apparently will work just fine with clients only on 2 chains  (One horn in this case).

You said if I only connect CH0 ad CH1 that "It won't work correctly without software modifications"  and that " it uses all chains to communicate with both AC and N radios" so I'm still unclear on what exactly  beyond just losing MU "won't work correctly" since I already stated that losing MU was the only downside I was aware of. 

The two 90° horns pointed 90° away from each other clearly shows the radio will work just fine on 2 chains since you could theoretically have no customers connected to the 2nd horn meaning CH2 and CH3 are doing nothing at all so I'm still curious if there are any other downsides other than just no MU.

You see, apparently I live in an area where we have the mysterious Cell carrier GPS interrupting noise that only affects Cambium onboard GPS. I have a couple of 3000L radios (which can not be synced via CMM or Packetflux or anything other than their own built in GPS receiver).  We have already had problems with the 3000L's losing Sync.  I am very hesitent to start using 3000L's since the mysterous GPS farries can come along at any moment and take away my Cambium GPS sync and I would like to know if I will be able to put in a 3000 when needed or if I just shut that AP down and tell all the customers on it I'm sorry but I can't provide you with service anymore without wrecking the rest of my network with interferrence from their non-sycnable AP . Actually I would just replace the 3000L's with 2000 APs as at this point I'm not really sure what the 3000L brings to the table that the 2000 doesn't that is worth giving up sync over power, filters and the ability to run at 48v.

There are also some very large water tanks were we are on the rail going around the belly, typcially the radios mounted on the north side of these tanks have several inches of steel and a million gallons of water between them and almost every GPS sat in the sky so I'm wondering, if I can't use 3000L here, maybe I can use a 3000 with only CH0 and CH1 connected.  

So what I'm trying to find out I suppose is that if/when a 3000L loses GPS sync  or I have a location were a 3000L can't possibly have GPS sync in the first place, can I, if needed, replace one with a 3000 and only use CH0 / CH1 (since I can Sync the 3000 with packetlfux I don't even have to care if it is affected by verizon or whoever Cambium is blaming for GPS problems when they aren't blaming the pucks or water or whatever) and expect the customer radios to perform just as they did on the 3000L?

I

The downside is that if you connect CH0 and CH1 only, you'll see issues on 802.11n clients. In eAlign you'll see wrong signals. You can try it yourself, I've had this issue.

The radio has to be configured to support this configuration with only one sector to CH0 and CH1. You can try to contact Cambium Support for that.

You should connect the antenna to CH0 and CH3 to see everything working correctly "out of the box", but I don't know if Cambium supports this officially as ePMP 3000 radios are configured for MU-MIMO operations, and I don't know if there is some other downside, so maybe someone from Cambium can support me on this.

2 Likes

>You should connect the antenna to CH0 and CH3

Thanks ! If true that is very much the kind of info I'm looking for ! 

Sure, it works, we had a site with this configuration and it worked correctly

I would support Guiseppe and recommend do one of the following: use ePMP 3000 with 4x4 MIMO sectors, or using Omni 4x4 or split sector configuration, and use ePMP 3000L for 2x2 sectors. Also the dual horn from Cambium is coming in Q2.

Thanks,

Dmitry

Dmitry,

Since it was you that chimed in about this in the other thread, could you tell me if Guiseppe is correct in that N radios will work just fine (both streams ?) if I connect CH0 and CH3  to a 2x2 antenna ?   If this is the case, then in theory could I connect two 2x2 antennas/waveguides pointed in opposite directions and N / AC radios work just like they were connected to a 3000L  ? 

On the 3000L, what is the H / V order of the rpsma antenna connectors on top ?

So instead of 4 3000L's in ABAB  I could in theory use one 3000 as A  (horns pointed N and S ) and another 3000 as B (horns pointed E and W )  ?  I have no intention of actually doing this I'm just trying to better understand how this works or more precisely why it doesn't work the way I thought it did.

Hi,

Frankly speaking it is hard to predict how the system will work cause it is definitely not the way how it supposed to. From what it sounds it should work fine the way you describing.

Thanks,

Dmitry

"From what it sounds it should work fine the way you describing."

Good to know... I guess I need to set up a lab and find out for sure.  Would make setting it up a lot faster if I knew the H/V order of the rpsma's on the 3000.

Is this info available in a manual or other documentation somewhere ? 

We were looking for that info as well and couldn't find it. Also interested in testing with dual horns. We are seeing significantly better RSSI at the SM with 3000 AP and Cambium sector vs. 2000APs and horn antennas. Now curious to see how much of the improvement is the 3000AP or the antenna. I would expect a 3dB improvement from the 3000, but we are seeing minimum 4-5dB and many are 6-8dB.