ePMP 3000 with RF Elements Horn

Yes, we showed a sneak preview of a dual horn MU-MIMO antenna at our webinar this week.  We expect our distribution channel partners to have these in stock at the end of April.  Pricing will be announced mid-April along with final specifications.  The new Dual-Horn MU-MIMO antenna will support 4x4 MU-MIMO in a horn pattern.  It is not expected to be suitable for deployment with the beam-steering antenna. 

I would suspect using two separate horns will be problematic to tune in the exact alignment and spacing which the dual-horn will take care of.

We'll have one on display at WISPAmerica in March.

- Bruce

3 Likes

is This will be fine, as I am informed it reduces the radio performance

Kenny what are you doing exactly in that picture ? Those two horns appear to be around 90° off of each other so guessing they are the 90° version of the horns ?  is the goal there 180° coverage ?  So the idea is 180° with one radio and thus a single 5Ghz channel vs say two horns with two radios covering the same space but using 2 Channels to do it ?

Unless you are trying to conserve spectrum , and I totally get that  because we are fairly rural and still struggle trying to find clean channels,  I think a better solution would be something like below (taken from a cambium webinar). Nothing to do with anything but it is odd the whole point of that was to brag on 3000L but the middle radio/horn is a 2000 and not a 3000L, I'm wondering why they did that and if it is because the 2000 has filtering  and the 3000L does not and maybe the 2000 sorta serving as a guard band between them.

I want to use 2 horn 90 for differents sides, with 1 epmp 3000, like the picture up.

Hi,

To avoid speculations I would like to make the following statements:

1. If you use a pair of horns with the official RF Elements "Twin Horn Bracket" you will not see any MU-MIMO. Although besides MU-MIMO system will work perfectly fine.

2. If you use a pair of horns looking in the different directions you will not see MU-MIMO unless you do the following:

a. Connect one horn to chain 0 and 1, connect second horn to 2 and 3.

b. Update software to 4.5-RC and pick Omni antenna option under the RF settings.

2. If you use a pair of horns looking in the different directions legacy non-11ac subscribers most probably will work with single stream rates.

3. Spectrum analyzer will work only for the chains 2 and 3.

Thanks,

Dmitry

5 Likes

My subscribers are force 130 and epmp 1000 integred, i dont have Acs radios,  i want it, is throughput capacity, more clients and coverage using 2 horns with 1 epmp 3000.

@KENNY POLO wrote:

My subscribers are force 130 and epmp 1000 integred, i dont have Acs radios,  i want it, is throughput capacity, more clients and coverage using 2 horns with 1 epmp 3000.

N radios can't do MU-MIMO , I haven't noticed that hey gain much at all from connecting to an AC AP.  If you plan on staying with N radios for your clients then you're probably better off with the two horns and two 2000AP's which would double your capacity. Or two 3000L's and install new customers with AC clients , replace old ones as they are repaired or whatever with AC and eventually you have mostly or maybe all AC clients.

1 Like

Hi Dmitry,

We achived this on a different way.  We connected RF Element Horns Pointing on the exact direction with a bracket we created, also connected the Smart Antenna on the bottom.  We Use Chain 0 and 2 on one Horn and chain 1 and 3 on the other. On the smart antenna we had to use the cables inverse on Version 4.5.Stable.

We have run several tests all of them show we are using the Mu-Mimo with Force 300. 

Thanks

@Dmitry Moiseev wrote:

Hi,

To avoid speculations I would like to make the following statements:

1. If you use a pair of horns with the official RF Elements "Twin Horn Bracket" you will not see any MU-MIMO. Although besides MU-MIMO system will work perfectly fine.

2. If you use a pair of horns looking in the different directions you will not see MU-MIMO unless you do the following:

a. Connect one horn to chain 0 and 1, connect second horn to 2 and 3.

b. Update software to 4.5-RC and pick Omni antenna option under the RF settings.

2. If you use a pair of horns looking in the different directions legacy non-11ac subscribers most probably will work with single stream rates.

3. Spectrum analyzer will work only for the chains 2 and 3.

Thanks,

Dmitry

5 Likes

So I did this. . . Kinda! I mounted the twoRF Elements horns on opposite sides of the tower then I went to mount my ePMP and the SMA cables that came with the Cambium Antenna (that I wasn’t gonna use) were only about 9" long. Now I’m trying to find SMA cables to tie 0 and 1 to one horn and 2 and 3 to the other from the ePMP. The horns are roughly 5ft out from the center of the tower and I can’t find cables long enough between the equipment.

Cables it came with.

Cables i ordered that had the wrong end connections cause it also had a pin in the female end.

1 Like

You’ll need RP (Reverse Polarity) connectors. RP-SMA

1 Like

Thanks! I found some late last night while searching for cables.

as above, RP-SMA connectors and at least LMR-100 cable, I would highly suggest LMR-400 for anything over 15ft. make sure you cut your cables to NOT be a multiple of the RF harmonics or you will induce a return standing wave that will cause issues and make sure the cables are all the same length or at least within a few millimeters difference.
ABOVE ALL ELSE do not use cheap or low quality cables, this is not the item to be stingy on and yes cables can be expensive but so is replacing them.

1 Like

2 Likes

Epmp 3000 with 2 horns KP PERFORMANCE

Hello @pollo8

We are looking to run a similar setup with RF element horns asymmetrical horns @ 30 degrees. Do you have a picture of your setup? Also keen to see how you are performing with this setup. May I ask what beam width you are using for the horns?

I would also like to know what is the beamwidth on those horns and are they aimed so that there is no overlap in their coverage or are they both covering the same area ?

Would like to know how that is performing and if MU is working.

Thanks

Yes Mu-Mimo works perfect on test performed with 300-25 Cpe. We are using 30 degree.

1 Like