Using Grid vs. Solid Reflectors

Does anyone have experience using the grid type reflectors as opposed to the standard solid ones? We are looking into these for 2 reasons:

1. We have a heavy windloaded situtaion and a reflector that has to be mounted on a high pole, so a grid type would be better because it would let wind pass through better than a solid dish.

2. The grid reflectors come in larger sizes than the standard 18". So would a larger dish increase our signal strength? We just need this for a point to point installation.

Thanks.

what frequency are you using?

MBWtech wrote:
what frequency are you using?

I may be wrong, but I believe that the purpose of the solid reflector is so the signal hits the focal point on the reflector at an exact position and then into the integrated antenna on the Canopy module. I would think that using a grid would not work because the signal would go right through the grid.

I think grids are more relevant in the 2.4GHz band.

well mssmith is very close on that.

the max void in the reflector has to be directly porpportional to the frequency used. you can use a mesh reflector up to 4.7Ghz but the largest hole diameter would be roughly 1/8" or smaller at 12GHz the holes would have to be smaller than 1/64th of an inch. thats why you dont see mesh dbs dishes like you used to see mesh C-Band

The windload atthat point is no different than a solid reflector, in fact a 1.5meter mesh would almost have the samewindload as a 1 meter solid, along with the oter problem mesh has. Keeping its true shape, mesh will not stay “true” over the long haul whereas a solid will.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info.

Looks like we just have to go solid and use guy wires and heavier pole to keep that thing from flopping aroujnd in the wind.

I have used grid dishes made for 2.4 on 5.7 and 5.2 they work ok but the jitter is higher for some reason. We have 2 hops at 5-7 miles using grid and doing ok. It works best if you just need a little boost in signal to make a hop solid.