V5000 + V3000 - Some Installation Questions

Hey there,

I have a few simple installation questions that I hope you can help me with.
I have a pretty simple setup right now.
3 buildings - 1 in the middle with 1 V5000 and 2 more around with 1 V3000 each.

Building 1 - left
Building 2 - center
Building 3 - right

Link one = Building 1 V3000 <–> Building 2 V5000 Sector 1, about 150m

• Channel 4 (best for maintaining high link quality when it rains, correct?)

Line two = Building 2 V5000 Sector 2 <–> Building 3 V3000, about 100m

• Channel 1

Now the questions:

• Because both links are on different channels
    a) Doesn’t matter the Golay code for the respective devices, correct? Just set all to 1?
    b) Is there anything to watch out for with polarity?
  • Everyone at EVEN?
  • Or V5000 on EVEN and the 2 V3000 on ODD?
  • Wireless Security - does it affect speed if activated? (PSK)
  • Scheduled BEAM Adjustment - does it really bring down the link for ~2 minutes? As we are in a Rain&Snow-heavy region I would like to activate it … but we can’t afford to have the link down for 2 Minutes every other day or so … any recommendation?

Especially when it comes to polarity, I’m a little undecided …?!?

Since the links serve as pure Layer 2 bridges, there are no other special features to consider as far as I can see, right?

A lab test setup of the installation in my office is already running as requested. Links are UP, Layer 2 traffic flow works perfectly.

Thank you, best regards from Tyrol
Andreas S.

ps) Really great devices, with which the deployment is really fun again! :wink:

Andreas,
I have some experience with cnWave in your situation.

The recommended configuration is that both sectors of the v5000 are configured on the same channel. At your short range, it will not matter which channel you use, but you are correct, channel 4 has the lowest oxygen absorption rate.

Then, you configure the polarity to both even or both odd on the v5000 sectors. On the CN’s you connect to the each sector, you configure those for the opposite polarity. If you v5000 is both even polarity, then your cn’s connected must be odd polarity.

Finally, the Golay codes should be different on each sector. For example, sector1 might be Golay 2/2, then set sector2 to Golay 1/1. The cn’s that connect to each sector should have the same Golay code as the sector they connect to.

So in summary:
Channel = the same
Polairity = the same for both v5000 sectors, opposite for cn’s connected
Golay = different on each v5000 sector, the same for cn’s connected to each sector.

If your Golay codes are the same, you network links will be very unstable. If your polarities are wrong, you will not connect at all. You can use the same channel to conserve spectrum. In the future, if you want to channel bond, or add other systems in the same area, you have lots of spectrum available.

Hope this helps a bit.

2 Likes

You should probably verify this with LINKplanner, as there are a few factors that complicate it:

• Free Space Path Loss increases in the higher channels
  • Oxygen absorption decreases in the higher channels
  • The antenna gain varies across the band

For longer links, the Free Space Path Loss is more significant than the Oxygen absorption, so a lower channel might be better. LINKPlanner will calculate this correctly, and also use the frequency-appropriate antenna gain.

(Thanks @Cambium_Rachel for this info, any mistakes are mine)

Hi @DaveClelland,
those Information help me a lot - thx! :slight_smile:

Even if we are, as far as I know, the first with 60GHz in our region, it certainly makes sense not to divide up the frequencies unnecessarily. Double channel width is planned as soon as the corresponding firmware (2022 I guess) from Cambium is released. So then 50% of the available channels are already occupied by us anyway …

Unfortunately, for structural reasons, one (maybe both) of the C3000 CN is under a canopy. I hope it gets a GPS lock to get a perfect time sync.
If GPS Lock were not possible - would the internal time sync of the devices be accurate enough to control the polarity accordingly? (I guess yes?)

@Simon_King - I already planned it all in LinkPlanner - booth, with Channel 1 and Channel 4 I get 99.9999% availability MCS12 on those distances - therefore the Channel 4 thing is just a micro-micro-optimization … :wink:

@all - anyone got some Feedback to those 2 Questions?

• Wireless Security - does it affect speed if activated? (PSK)
  • Scheduled BEAM Adjustment - does it really bring down the link for ~2 minutes? As we are in a Rain&Snow-heavy region I would like to activate it … but we can’t afford to have the link down for 2 Minutes every other day or so … any recommendation?

Thank you all, bye from Austria
Andy

Wireless security - Does not affect throughput / speed.

1 Like

Hi Andreas,

This information needs to be corrected. The link will not actually drop for 2 minutes.

The PBF scan/beam adjustment should cause the link capacity to drop to 50% for less than a second per wireless link.

Thanks,
Jack

1 Like

Thanks for the information! If you haven’t already done so, maybe the documentation should be updated with this information! :wink:

I still have one question … the 2 V3000 are installed under a canopy, i.e. I don’t know whether or how good the GPS reception will be. Should I set “Force GPS OFF” on the 2 V3000 in this case?
Are there any disadvantages if GPS OFF is activated?
Or should GPS remain active - even at the risk of no (or bad) GPS signal being received?

Both V3000 connect to the V5000 in the middle.

Thanks very much

Hi Andreas,

Am I correct in thinking both of these V3000s under a canopy are configured as CNs? If this is the case, they will not use GPS regardless of “Force GPS Disable” because they will be synchronised using the RF link from the DN (in your case a V5000 DN). Do you have reliable GPS synchronisation at the V5000 DN?

Thanks,
Jack

2 Likes

Hi Jack,

exactly - the V5000 functions as POP-DN and the V3000 each as CN.
The GPS reception on the V5000 should be excellent as it is mounted on a mast on the roof.
I will activate GPS on the V5000 and deactivate it on the V3000. (even if not necessary with the V3000 because no GPS is active as CN according to your info)

Thank you for the information, best regards from Tyrol
Andy

1 Like