Variable Signal Strength at 5.4

I am seeing a varation in the dBm measurement of many of our SM’s at 5.4 GHz. This can happen in the same day and can swing from the mid 50’s to mid 70’s. This seems to occur when the jitter climbs.

The result is that a radio that seems to be installed OK at -65 dbM will drop off the air when the signal drops below about -80 dBm.

The radios I see it on are clear LOS but are over a lake. I do not see this at 2.4 GHz from the same sites to the same end locations.

Is it the water? Does 5.4 not perform well over water?

could it be theres some radar in the area?

I do not beleive this is a DFS issue as it occurs at different times for different customers. And not all customers are dropping off the air.

it definately could be reflection off the water. we have problems anytime we put 900mhz in Vpol near water. are these bare SM’s ? or you have a reflector/canopy lens/ stinger on there?

As mentioned, try narrowing the beamwidth by using a stinger (12deg) or a standard dish (6deg).

If the level is too hot at the AP you can switch to low power (-18dB) on the SM.

as jerry stated you might wanna try slappin one of these on

http://www.wbmfg.com/cgi-bin/e.magine/p … ctNum=1035

We have dishes on the further radios Most closer in ones are only 3-4 miles away and have no Stinger or dish.

[/img]

slap a stinger on there - cheap solution

Sorry if I was not clear. We DO have dishes on most of the radios.

Even the problematic units?

Are all of your AP’s sync’d?

Yes, even the problematic units.

There is a guy on the Mikrotik forum who has been talking about screwing with Canopy, signal jamming, etc. He’s somewhere in Canada… Not saying thats what is happening but things that make you wonder…

PM me if you want the link to the topic…

Here’s how to find him:
http://motorola.motowi4solutions.com/su … php?t=5342

jwcn wrote:
There is a guy on the Mikrotik forum who has been talking about screwing with Canopy, signal jamming, etc. He's somewhere in Canada... Not saying thats what is happening but things that make you wonder...

PM me if you want the link to the topic...

I'm having the same case with a 5700 P10 point-to-multipoint link. behind the SM I've installed a Mikrotik router with 2.4 Ghz access point connected to it. The RF signal levels are variable, there is a good LoS and dBm goes from -70 upto -81 and the link brokes frequently.

The link distance is approximately 7.74 miles with a dish in one side.

Hope someone could give me a little advice.

Thanks.

I would suggest putting a dish on both sides.

FYI, on the original post. I put dishes on every radio and this seems to have solved the problem. The signal only varies by about 6 dB now. Thanks for your help.