Verify V1000/V5000 Signal/Alignment

With the awesome beam forming and wide antenna pattern of the V1000 and V5000 it’s easy to just point and assume you’ve got a good signal, but we are discovering some links do not have enough fade margin to survive some of the wet snow we have seen recently. I have a link that is V5000 to V5000 at 89 m that did not survive the snow. I am wondering how I can verify that it is meeting expected signal when the CN reduces the power to -60 automagically? Is the EIRP a good indicator, or the Fade Margin values? If so, how can I know what the expected values should be in good weather based on the distances between devices? Does Link Planner give this info for PTMP links, or is there a table somewhere that I can use as a reference?

Hi Greg,

I’d suggest using LINKPlanner. I’ve just tried this myself to demonstrate:

I created two Network Sites and added a V5000 DN to each and created a Hub on each. I then formed a mesh link between the two. Try to be as accurate as possible with GPS coordinates and Antenna Azimuths. Finally, configure the frequency you are using.

In the performance section, you will see a reported fade margin for each MCS mode. You can compare the fade margin of MCS2 against the reported fade margin for your link in question in cnMaestro. This is what mine looks like which is broadly similar:

I’d be interested what fade margin you are seeing on a clear day and at the worst point of a snow storm.

Thanks,
Jack

1 Like

Will this work with LinkPlanner Online?

ksnip_20230404-104325
ksnip_20230404-104322

Hi Greg,

It should work but from what I’m told there is no concept on a hub in the online version. You just add DNs straight into the network sites.

Thanks,
Jack

So If I understand correctly, when we hit 0 we lose the connection.
Predicted is 10.64, and I currently have 15 in good conditions.

So I have to assume this link should be fine and the downtime I experienced is the acceptable four 9’s down?