Vista and Canopy installs

Ok, I do not like Vista thus far.

My setup: I use a Mikrotik PC router to hand out private IPs to most of my customers. I have each SM in bridge mode, so the PC gets the IP from the Mikrotik.

I have some customers who have Vista. It constantly drops connection, then it is a lot of trouble to get re-connected to the network. The SMs look fine as far as numbers go (jitter,etc…) - it just seems like Vista bungles-up the connection. It just sits there trying to identify the network. The only way I have found thus far to get it to work (sometimes) is to tell the customer to pull the Canopy AC adapter and re-plug it back in.

Can anyone tell me what settings they are using in Vista to maintain a connection? (private or public, etc…IPV6 off or on, etc…)

(or is it some setting in my Mikrotik box that needs tweaked for Vista?)

It works fine when I attach a PC to my office network (also using the same Mikrotik box, with similar setup).

This is one of the many reasons we require [u:g11uumlh]all[/u:g11uumlh] of our customers provide or purchase a router during the Canopy installation. We push the WRT54G and have zero issues with Vista clients.

So, do you mind to tell me what you charge for your installation with router? Does the customer keep or just use the radio/antenna?

Thank you.

we provide an ebr2310 wired router to isolate the customer

Same here. We provide a Linksys WRT54G to the customer. I then DHCP a private IP based on the MAC of the router. If they want to keep the router they have, then we use its MAC and tell them to let us know if they replace it.

jwelch wrote:
This is one of the many reasons we require [u:kt6pia9y]all[/u:kt6pia9y] of our customers provide or purchase a router during the Canopy installation. We push the WRT54G and have zero issues with Vista clients.

We Charge an additional $20 on top of router for installation and router is customer's equipment.

We use WRT54GL’s here and they work great.

try turning off the IPV6. that seems to help.

yah - I tried that already. No changes.

My problem Vista user was remedied by forcing the network card on the machine to the link speed the modem was advertising (10meg full-duplex).

We have had a lot of problems with Vista clients: It has to do with a bunch of broadcast traffic as part of UPnP/SSDP. Disabling IPv6 and the Link Layer Topology Discovery protocols usually does the trick.