VLAN's for dummies

I did a read-through of some of the VLAN threads in this forum, but I’m still a bit unsure… Here is my setup:

Cisco 3750 (switchport mode dynamic desirable)

connected to:

Motorola Canopy CMM (older type)

connected to:

Motorola Canopy AP (VLAN: Enable, Dynamic Learning: Disabled, Management VLAN: 1, VLAN Memberships: 1 Permanent, 2 Static)

connected to:

Motorola Canopy SM (Dynamic Learning: Disabled, Untagged Ingress VID: 1, Management VID: 1)
connected to:

Cisco 2960 (switchport mode trunk, switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,2)

VLAN 1 traffic passes, but not 2. In the “VLAN Stats” pages on the AP I see 0 frames received but frames sent are incrementing. Visca versa on the SM at the other end. What’s going on? Why does it seem to be filtering VLAN 2 traffic out? (I want to pass BOTH VLAN’s to the remote site… VLAN 2 is segregated to a wireless controller on this side of the link).

Thoughts? I’ve tried a few variations of the trunking at either end… none seem to change anything. Changing the untagged ingress vlan ID on the SM to “2” makes me lose connection to the switch (for management, anyway).

I don’t seem to have any problems passing a trunk over a BH (different link), just the CMM-AP-SM links.

for one vlan you need:
cisco switch with mode trunk on the port connected to the CMM
Ap with dinamic learning enabled
SM witch dinamic learning disabled.
Untagged Ingress VID: the vlan you want

for 2 vlans:
the same as above but SM with dinamic learning enabled.
you dont put anything on Untagged Ingress VID(leave 1)
put the 2 vlans on vlan membership

I’ve configured it that way (the latter), but it won’t seem to pass VLAN 2 traffic.

The switch port at this end of the CMM is (Cisco-speak) “switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q”, "switchport mode trunk"
The switch port (uplink) at the other end of the SM is "switchport mode trunk"
The switch port facing the client (same end switch) is "switchport access vlan 2"

Is it normal for the VLAN stats for VLAN 2 to only show traffic on either ingress/egress on the AP and SM, but not both? (received on SM, sent on AP). Something isn’t right…

Try:
- use another vlan for testing at least.
- check, or delete and configure again the vlans on the switches/interfaces on the routers that are in the way.
- on the radio,“set to factory defaults”, reset, and configure all over again.

I would recommend against the whole VLAN 1 thing as Cisco gives is special treatment and there are certain things you can and cannot do with it. Trust me, we’re still trying to get VLAN 1 off of our network :frowning:

Your config appears to be missing one crucial element - VLAN membership on the SM. You must either enable dynamic learning (bad) or add the VLANs statically (good). Also make sure that the VLANs actually exist on the switches, otherwise no traffic will be passed.

This is how I’d configure it, end to end (note that some of these commands are defaults):

switch at CMM:
(config)# vlan 2
(config-vlan)# said 2
(config-vlan)# exit
(config)# int gig 0/whatever
(config-if)# switchport mode trunk
(config-if)# switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
(config-if)# switchport trunk allowed vlans 1,2
(config-if)# switchport trunk native vlan 1
(config-if)# end

AP:
VLANs: Enabled
Dynamic Learning: Disabled
Management VLAN: 1
VLAN Memberships: 1, 2

SM:
VLANs: Enabled
Dynamic Learning: Disabled
Management VLAN: 1
VLAN Memberships: 1, 2
Untagged Ingress VLAN: 1
Drop Ingress Management VID: Disabled

switch at SM:
(config)# vlan 2
(config-vlan)# said 2
(config-vlan)# exit
(config)# int gig 0/whatever
(config-if)# switchport mode trunk
(config-if)# switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
(config-if)# switchport trunk allowed vlans 1,2
(config-if)# switchport trunk native vlan 1
(config-if)# end

I have no experience with realest CMM, just CMM Micro, so your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps

In the end, restarting the trunked ports at either end (“shut” “no shut”) seems to have solved the problem… the trunk wasn’t properly negotiated from the CMM side. Both VLAN’s are statically created on the AP/SM, so no problem there. Thanks for the help!