Vouchers on Smart TVs and android tv boxes

Good day Peeps.

Could anyone advise me how to get smart tv's and android tv boxes connected onto one of my wifi groups that are setup to use vouchers?

The setup I've got is a retirement home that has an admin SSID(which uses a WPA2 password) and a residents SSID(using the vouchers).

Currently we just connect the tv's to the admin network, but I'd like to know if there is away to just these devices connected via the vouchers. To add to this, the laptops still show that it isn't secure, when the residents connect using the vouchers. This freaks them out as they are concerned about their online banking.

Best regards,

Sherwyn

Good day Sherwyn,

I’d probably suggest that using vouchers on a smart TVs is more trouble than its worth. If the smart TV has a built in browser then you can probably get this to work but it would be a painful proccess having to onboard all of your TV’s this way. If it was me I’d just create a 3rd AP group / SSID for all of your Smart TV / IOT devices and place them in a separate VLAN, maybe even enable client isolation as well.

Regarding the residents complaining about the network not being secure is due to the fact that this SSID is open and by default offers no encryption. Any websites dealing with banking, payments or similar should be using HTTPS for encryption but HTTP traffic (or any other unencrypted protocol) will sent over the airwaves in clear text.

If you want to offer encryption for the residents you would have to use WPA2. Or the residents could use a VPN the secure their traffic, but being realistic some may not have the techinal knowledge to set this up.

Out of interest is there any reason that you use a voucher based system for your residents?

1 Like

Good morning Wright-Fi.

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.

We're supplying the retirement village with VOIP and Data. Not all residents are using our service, so the company requested that the voucher system be implement in order to prevent the residents from handing out the password to each other. "...create a 3rd AP group / SSID for all of your Smart TV / IOT devices and place them in a separate VLAN, maybe even enable client isolation as well.". Think we'll give this a try. Haven't done client isolation yet.

Regards,

Sherwyn