Wasted money on ptp425?

Result at 6 gHz

Results

1 Like

That’s about right for DS9 Modulations (256 QAM).
If you can get the Modulations to DS10/DS11 (1024 QAM) will speed things up even more.

My personal recommendation for those who need bandwidth above 500mbps at 5ghz is to have a noise floor of at least -90 on the channel to be used.

If not, give up.

Use another frequency.

2 Likes

NOT WASTED AT ALL. LOVING THE 425 NOW.

I do have concern about the sfp though, how can I incorporate it with my OLT GPON as it says in the data sheet, “GPON LASTMILE”.

1 Like

You buy a special GPON module for the SFP connector. You configure it at the operator’s or yourself.
You insert the module into the master AP and you have the GPON extension :slight_smile:

Oh wow, is that on the bench or in production?

We have Force 425 links and Force 400c (with 2’ and 3’ antennas) in production. For us, they are stable and fast. The longest link we have in production is 14.5 KM, and it links at DS10 (1024-QAM) for most packets.

We get well over 400 Mbit of REAL CUSTOMER DATA in a 40Mhz channel, and over 800 Mbit of real customer data in an 80 Mhz channel. If we do a speed test pushing data with MikroTik 4011’s, we’ll get about 960 Mbit over the Force 400’s in an 80Mhzc channel, under ideal conditions.

3 Likes

Thank you for your reply! So where your 400c radios are located, are they sharing space with any gps syncd radios? Just wondering if I can do a 400c link where the backhaul ends up where I have 4 epmp 3000 radios using frequency reuse with sync through matrix tower switch. I am aware that the 400c does not have gps.

Thanks!!

400 series does not support sync injection through ethernet.

Hi, appreciate the response. I am aware of that and see that my post was misworded… I should of said I know that the 400c does not have internal gps nor can it be sync’d. I was mentioning the tower switch just show that I have 4 epmp 3000 using sync over POE and was wondering if I introduced a non gps/sync device to that site what can one expect for the negative or would it be fine. Thanks!

Hi. Yes, in our case, we have a Force400c feeding a tower which has a number of other non-synced backhauls on it, as well as synced PtMP AP’s.

Anything running in ‘flexible frame’ mode isn’t really “sync-able” anyway, because the frame length is variable. So even if they were GPS equipped, you’d have to then also go to a fixed frame in order to share frequencies. That would be OK probably… we have a bunch of Force300’s and 3000L’s running 75%/25% Fixed Frame, and as long as the percentages don’t run you short for capacity, that’s fine too.

But, to answer your question - yes you can. We do. We have picked channels well, AND we are using shielding and vertical distance to mitigate self interference. For us, its working great.

1 Like

Great! Thank you for your response and I really appreciate your feedback and insight! I am looking forward in getting the force 400c into my hands!

master and slave?
or TDD PTP?

In your experience the epmp400 are better than the PTP 550 range?
How long have you been with the force400 line?

They are entirely different animals. For us, yes, the 400c and 425 are better.

BUT, the PTP 550 main feature, is the ability to bond different channels, of different sizes. She can bond a 40 MHz channel at one frequency, and a 10 megahertz channel at an entirely different frequency, and get the benefits of piecing together the scraps of a noisy spectrum.

BUT - the new Cambium ePMP AX gear (The 4000 and 400 series) is between 50% and 100% faster IN THE SAME SPECTRUM SIZE than they 3000/300 series was.

Hopefully there will be a multi-radio version of the 400s, like a 550, but AX based. But only if they resolve some of the fatal flaws of the PTP550, otherwise it’ll also still be fatally flawed.

1 Like

Thanks for your comments, I see that the force400 is being better, in your experience it is likely that a pair of these radios for a maximum 5km link with moderate noise is still a good option?
do you think it is possible to power them with solar panels?
Cheers!

We have Force 400’s running as far as 15km on our network, and performing spectacularly.

We do have several totally solar powered towers on our network, but we don’t have any Force400’s on those particular towers. However - the Yes/No answer to ‘can I power them by solar’ is Yes… if you have enough solar and enough batteries, of course you can. Whether or not that’s practical, that’s up to you. BUT - yes, we have solar only sites which have AirFiber’s on them, so yes… if you throw enough panels & batteries at them, you can run anything off of solar.

1 Like

Hey all, On my slave radio I keep getting 0% Link Quality (uplink

Goes in and out randomly.

I infinitely appreciate your comments in the same way I comment that I have force300, force200 and epmp1000 energized with solar panels using passive poems which make it work without problems except that the utp cable punching is different from using a passive poe in equipment like ubiquiti or mikrotik working with DC solar panels
since many use solar panels and battery banks but they work with current inverters having this a high consumption in the energy of the batteries.
anyway I appreciate your comments