What is Beamforming?

Hi everyone.

Hope it could be ok posting this question here.

here: http://www.cambiumnetworks.com/blog/what-is-beamforming/

Is talked aobut beamforming, such interesting technology, same as RADWIN itself sponsors into the market.

My question is, do Cambium product/s using it yet or are going to use it in the future, obviously it will be interesting to know more if when also!

Thanks,

OC

1 Like

It's supposed to be if i understand well what i heard to be used in the upcoming EPMP 2000.  And for the 450i series the name of the product will be medusa. And take advantage of Massive MIMO.We got that info at the last CANWISP.

3 Likes

cnMedusa and ePMP 2000 will support beamforming.

2 Likes

So when it is supposed to have a solution like that? Both products involved 450i and epmp 2000?

@OC wrote:
So when it is supposed to have a solution like that? Both products involved 450i and epmp 2000?

A little bird told me this year... possibly summer?

2 Likes

And the little bird told you even if the upcoming new is backward and to the SM CPEs?

Yes... ePMP SM's and PMP450 SM's will be backwards compatible with the ePMP 2000 AP, and PMP450m AP, respectively.

1 Like

Last curiosity: there will be a brand new hardware or could it even exist just performing a firmware upgrade/update, just as good as could it be to use the existing epmp1000 (AP) hardware?

You'll need to purchase the new AP hardware to take advantage of beam forming (ePMP/450m) and MU-MIMO (450m). There may be a firmware update required on the client radios.

2 Likes

Will beam forming be available in on 450i 900? 

@pgator17 wrote:

Will beam forming be available in on 450i 900? 

No. Beamforming/MU-MIMO will not be available on any 450i AP's, and not initially (probably never) on 900MHz. My guess is that there will never be a 450m AP available on 900MHz. Sorry :-(

Well, I was thinking about buying 3 sectors of 2.4 epmp and bunch of epmp sm's to change out my ubnt network but now I might just wait for the epmp 2000 series. Does anyone know if clients will need beam forming as well or will the clients stay the same. 

As far as I know, the Beamforming on the 2000 is in a recieve antenna on the AP side .

The way beamforming works is to electronically 'steer' an antenna where you want it for higher gain and lower interference. The SM side won't be beamforming - since it's already aimed direclty at the AP.  The AP is where beamforming antennas go, since the AP side can benefit from a 'steer'able  antenna.

So you should be able to go ahead and deploy SM's now and upgradeing to the ePMP 2000 should be an AP side upgrade.

@pgator17 wrote:

Well, I was thinking about buying 3 sectors of 2.4 epmp and bunch of epmp sm's to change out my ubnt network but now I might just wait for the epmp 2000 series. Does anyone know if clients will need beam forming as well or will the clients stay the same. 

Hello,

I shoudl point out that the ePMP2000 will be ONLY available in the 5GHz so you should go ahead and buy the 2.4 gear cause we love when customers buy our products :)

We don't have any plans to do a 2.4 version as given the fewer channels in 2.4, we won't see much benefit from the intelligent filtering.

Sakid

1 Like

Sakid, what about 5GHz? Will ePMP 2000 a totally new product or will it available also as an update for ePMP 1000 users?
We’re buying lots of Access Points and in some cases a beam forming unit could be very very useful!
When will we have some updates :)?

@giuseppe4 wrote:
Sakid, what about 5GHz? Will ePMP 2000 a totally new product or will it available also as an update for ePMP 1000 users?
We're buying lots of Access Points and in some cases a beam forming unit could be very very useful!
When will we have some updates :)?

Hi guiseppe4,

ePMP 2000 will be fully compatible with current ePMP 1000 radios. It is an AP but, like all current ePMP radios, you can even use it as an SM if you choose to by changing the Radio mode. I can't think of why anyone would want to do that (perhaps slave end of a PTP link).

Thanks,

Sriram

1 Like

Hi Sriram, 

I didn't explain well!

I was talking about Access points, I would never use an access point as SM! :-D

Is there a release date for ePMP 2000? At least for more information?

Will you release new SM or only a new access point radio? Beamforming will be available only with Cambium sectors or also with 3rd party sectors?

Thank you for your answers!

@giuseppe4 wrote:

Hi Sriram, 

I didn't explain well!

I was talking about Access points, I would never use an access point as SM! :-D

Is there a release date for ePMP 2000? At least for more information?

Will you release new SM or only a new access point radio? Beamforming will be available only with Cambium sectors or also with 3rd party sectors?

Thank you for your answers!

Hi guiseppe4,

ePMP 2000 will be a connectorized radio so you can use it with third party external antennas if you'd like. However, it will be highly optimized for the Cambium sector and we do not guarantee performance with third party antennas. This is especially true if you want to use the beamforming option. 

As for the rest of your questions, stay tuned!

Thanks,

Sriram

1 Like

I started a transition to Cambium in my network using ePMP 1000, Force 180 and Force 200 a month ago, and I hope I won't be disappointed! 
Hope ePMP 2000 will be released soon and I won't have to change all SM to have all advantages :-(

@giuseppe4 wrote:

I started a transition to Cambium in my network using ePMP 1000, Force 180 and Force 200 a month ago, and I hope I won't be disappointed! 
Hope ePMP 2000 will be released soon and I won't have to change all SM to have all advantages :-(

You absolutely won't have to change your SMs. 

1 Like