What is the best antenna to use for a connectorized AP?

I have been researching the best antenna to use with a connectorized AP. If I’m not mistaken the Cyclone uses an MTI antenna and works great. If I could save a few hundred and get the same performance I would be very happy indeed. I’m also thinking of using a horizontal antenna with the rot-o-pol from LMG on the SM’s because the noise floor is high in my area. Any response from those who have used this configuration would be appreciated.

What kind of coverage do you need? Basically, are you looking for omnis, sectors, etc?

MTI is usually a safe bet. Every antenna of theirs I’ve used has been wonderful.

I love to recommend superpass (www.superpass.com) because the price is typically good and they are willing to discount multiple-antenna purchases.

Their antennas look kinda cheap (like their canadian competitor Til-Tek) but they always work great.

Superpass are guys who patent new designs that everyone else licenses from them. Their RF performance typically exceed expectations. They aren’t just some yokels making cheap looking antennas.

Also when you need a selection of basic designs for a decent price, shop hyperlink (www.hyperlinktech.com) and you will probably find it. They have nicer cases and such than Superpass, too.

I use some MTi antennas and i love them too, but they are a premium item. You can definitely save money by shopping around.

I’ve used superpass in the past but their design concerns me. Also the option for adding mechanical downtilt is cheesy.

This has driven me to use Terrawave antennas for 2.4 and 5.8 AP’s and MTI for 900Mhz.

amd phreak wrote:
I've used superpass in the past but their design concerns me. Also the option for adding mechanical downtilt is cheesy.

This has driven me to use Terrawave antennas for 2.4 and 5.8 AP's and MTI for 900Mhz.

We've started using Terawave's 13db instead of the Hyperlink flavor - much easier to work with and seems to perform better. I'm starting to move away from M2 because I hate their mounting hardware.

what is the distance you get from the terrawaves?

With a Terrawave 900mhz 120deg sector, i’ve been able to get over 6mi nlos.

If that helps.

I’d probably get further if i could get my SM’s to not get as much multipath with the m2 17dbi’s but that’s a different story entirely.

In my opinion, you cant do better than MTI.

BajaMnstr wrote:
With a Terrawave 900mhz 120deg sector, i've been able to get over 6mi nlos.

If that helps.

I'd probably get further if i could get my SM's to not get as much multipath with the m2 17dbi's but that's a different story entirely.

Seeing about the same.

using m2 yagis and Superpass 120 Horizontal sectors we are getting up to 17 miles or so. some times with a high noise floor that forces 1x operation, other times we get 2x. most far reach customers are 12-15 miles, not 17, though…

We use MTI for our cyclone 900 omni’s and M2’s for our long shots especially through foliage. The M2’s are great for punching through trees. Our longest shot is wide open space at 18 miles with just a integrated flat panel sm.

nucoles wrote:
We use MTI for our cyclone 900 omni's and M2's for our long shots especially through foliage. The M2's are great for punching through trees. Our longest shot is wide open space at 18 miles with just a integrated flat panel sm.

I've seen much better results with foliage penetration using a 15db parabolic from Hyperlink over the M2 yagis. Subscriber 4 miles out went from -80 to -70 at the AP going from a 17db M2 to a 15db Hyperlink - quite a difference!

I don’t use any 900 stuff. all 5.2 and 5.7 with the motorola gear

Hi

I see you guys use 900 Mhz? We have come out with a 17.5 and 14.5 Dbi Yagi antenna. If you’re interested please go to our web site and take a look. If you have any questions give me a call.

www.kpperformance.ca

Take care
Ken