why choosing pmp 450

hi all, 

i´m thinking about changing my gear to pmp 450 due to interferences and bad quality to final client in my area

my actual gear is ubnt (i start  with it 3  years ago with marvellous results), and 1 epmp 1000 thats is under test for 2 weeks , also i have a few ptp links with epmp that are working pretty good,

i would like to know the differences with pmp 450 and why you all choose it, my area is actually very congested. 

sometimes my epmp sector shows radar detected, ubnt gear quality goes down and clients disconnets every day a few times... im getting bored about wasting money ...trying new gear... and later changing it to other brands or models... 

i use to follow this forum and people seems to be quite happy about pmp450. 

thats why im asking why you choose it...your impressions.. in "combat areas" how is it working...speeds its giving (ive seen that only works in 20 mhz and im quite curious about this point).

many thanks in advance

EPMP is a lot like UBNT, 802.11 based... Hence the cheap costs but its still 802.11 just with TDMA and some custom TDMA stuff over the top.

PMP450's are the evolution from PMP100 series, custom silicon, custom algorithms etc, they're amazing in noisy environments from my experience, or atleast that seems to be the case from what i've seen. 

4 Likes

The epmp is a great product compared to other 802.11 based products. However it is equally susceptible to noise as other systems. It does handle it a little better, but the 450 series has much lower snr requirements, more advance techniques for dealing with noisy environments and an extremely stable frame. It also codes highers and tighter frame controls above any other 802.11 based product. It’s also available in more frequencies. The 3.65 version would probably be the best suite for you if your running into lots of noise. Thanks to GPS sync you’ll be able to run all of your basestations within the same 50 mhz space and have about 400 meg max downlink (actually usuable) capacity. All of your towers can run on the same two channels without any issues. We’ve using the older Cambium 100 series platform for 9 years now and most of our original hardware is still up and running great. We’ve decided to use epmp only because noise isn’t a problem in our area. Bit by bit the 450 out performs everything else as a complete system. We will be deploying the 900 mhz version as soon as its available!

3 Likes

Chris is right on the money...

We use ePMP for smaller/remote sites where there's very little noise and low site density. We use PMP450 for large/high-density sites and/or areas with high interference or where we need more spectrum options available (like 3.65GHz) or soon to be 900MHz.

3 Likes

many thanks for the explanation ( chris & eric)

here is quite complicated the envyroment,  some places are easy to work ...  right now a few new areas have been deplyed with epmp 1000 , just to start with a cheap option with a minimun of quality , and we are quite happy about the  quality that epmp gives, its first time we have open an area...and we o0nly check it twice a month... (ubiquiti...2 - 3 times a week) so its allowing us  to grow in areas and we are now studying about opening 5 new towns with many remote areas. 

in the "combat area". 

im seriously thinking about an pmp450 lite, thats why i asked about it, yesterday arrives an ubnt ac sector 60º with 21dbi ( thats says in the specs) , epmp sector is 90º 14 dbi ,  we are going to test it,,, right now is giving mcs 12/13 with - 75 dbm ....i want to increase RRSI so can be more stable . 

we will test it and if there is no other option ... pmp 450 lite will have to ordered. 

many thanks for the help

1 Like

As others have said, the Canopy line is not Wifi but custom FPGA based. And the Canopy scheduler is very, very efficient, which makes things like bandwidth distribution and latency very stable. They've put some of the same ideas into the ePMP product, but it is still an 802.11 radio. We have deployed both Canopy on large scale and ePMP on small scale with great success. It's only going to get better once the ePMP can be precisely synchronized with not only the PMP100 but the PMP450/450i later.

One thing you can do with the PMP450 is zero guard band between adjacent sectors. Say you have an AP on 5750/20MHz. Your next co-located AP can be on 5770/20MHz. Add back-to-back frequency reuse via GPS sync on top of that and it is priceless in congested areas.

Yes, the current PMP450 is limited to 20MHz channel bandwidth, but the 450i is starting to ship now which is a huge step forward for the 450 series.

Here's one of my stories on a migration from Ubiquiti 3.65 to 3.65 PMP450. It's night and day difference. http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/PMP-Stories/Ubiquiti-3-65-to-3-6-450-Migration/m-p/43593 We've stopped deploying all Ubiquiti PTMP gear.

Ubiquity 3.65 is older .11n based gear with old chipset, slow cpu and without sync.

No doubt 450 is much better. Take a better competitor to shine ;-).

@George Skorup wrote:

Yes, the current PMP450 is limited to 20MHz channel bandwidth, but the 450i is starting to ship now which is a huge step forward for the 450 series.

15MHz and 30MHz channel widths are in the works... I'm not certain if this is for both PMP450 and PMP450i, but def for the PMP450i.

@ste wrote:

Ubiquity 3.65 is older .11n based gear with old chipset, slow cpu and without sync.

No doubt 450 is much better. Take a better competitor to shine ;-).

The older Airmax 3.65 gear is a joke. They use a 5GHz to 3.65GHz downcoverter and it does not work well. If you're not using shielding it can cause serious OOBE for both 5GHz and 3.65 users on the same tower. We deployed a couple sectors and pretty much immediatly pulled them after testing.

On the other hand UBNT just released an Airfiber 3 product, but it's only (currently) for PtP use. This is FPGA based, and uses custom silicon. I have not used this so I have no idea how it performs.

For what it's worth, my company has started experimenting with epmp 1000, in addition to some 450, alongside older 100 series.  I can say with certainty that the epmp has less capabilities in the DFS bands.

We primarily use DFS for customer APs, and 5.8 band for ptp links.  For the first deployment of epmp, we used DFS channels, and found it very difficult to get anything over 2-2.5 miles connected reliably.  In another area, there are several customers located 4-4.5 miles from the AP running DFS, and they've got steady -75 or better.  One customer who is 2.8 miles away has a TX signal of -85, and RX of -79 (a large building was constructed directly in between his house and the AP), and he's still eating the internet like there's no tomorow.  On 10mhz channel, a link capacity test from his unit still shows 18mbps down, and 2.5mbps up.  That's outrageous.

Would I trust Ubiquiti to do that?  Doubtful.  Epmp?  Maybe on 5.8 band.

We have so many old 100s in service (900mhz, and 5.7ghz models) that I forget where they all are because they've been working for 7+ years.  What you spend in equipment costs up front you make up for in reliability.  Most of our service calls with Cambium gear are power supply replacements (we experience a lot of electrical storms in the summer), and recabling.  Out of 150 decommissioned 100s from the last three years, only a small handful were defective.

The bottom line is that 450 works, even when badly aimed.

2 Likes

I agree with you guy we have been running PMP100 for the past 10 years running on 5.7GHz solid but we only had to replace power supply units.   In the Summer time our temps go up to 125. We are in the process up updating the units to PMP 450.   What's great is that I can use the same reflector dish and housing unit to install the PMP450 on the old PMP 100. The 450's usees  MIMO-OFDM technology allows dual stream operation.  Also  Flexible channel width (5, 10 and 20 MHz).   

@acfreema wrote:

For what it's worth, my company has started experimenting with epmp 1000, in addition to some 450, alongside older 100 series.  I can say with certainty that the epmp has less capabilities in the DFS bands.

We primarily use DFS for customer APs, and 5.8 band for ptp links.  For the first deployment of epmp, we used DFS channels, and found it very difficult to get anything over 2-2.5 miles connected reliably.  In another area, there are several customers located 4-4.5 miles from the AP running DFS, and they've got steady -75 or better.  One customer who is 2.8 miles away has a TX signal of -85, and RX of -79 (a large building was constructed directly in between his house and the AP), and he's still eating the internet like there's no tomorow.  On 10mhz channel, a link capacity test from his unit still shows 18mbps down, and 2.5mbps up.  That's outrageous.

Would I trust Ubiquiti to do that?  Doubtful.  Epmp?  Maybe on 5.8 band.

We have so many old 100s in service (900mhz, and 5.7ghz models) that I forget where they all are because they've been working for 7+ years.  What you spend in equipment costs up front you make up for in reliability.  Most of our service calls with Cambium gear are power supply replacements (we experience a lot of electrical storms in the summer), and recabling.  Out of 150 decommissioned 100s from the last three years, only a small handful were defective.

The bottom line is that 450 works, even when badly aimed.

s
year we had 3 power supply 

power supply replacements (we experience a lot of electrical storms in the summer), and recabling.  Out of 150 decommissioned 100s from th