Why is 169.254.1.1 still pingable after I configure a static IP in the ePMP AP???

Anyone know?

I'm really not happy with this At ALL.

My 169.254.1.1 IP has been hijacked with the ePMP's and they won't let it go.

With Release 2.1, the fallback IP address has changed from 10.1.1.254 to 169.254.1.1.

1 Like

Hi Ram Patel, 

Like Eric said, beggining with Release 2.1, the default IP address has been changed to 169.254.1.1. This is like a last resort IP address that you can use to access the device. 

Beggining with Release 2.3.3, you have the ability to disable or change this IP through CLI or SNMP using the example procedure below.

Ability to disable or change  the default IP 169.254.1.1

SNMP

OID Name OID Description
networkLanDefaultIP .1.3.6.1.4.1.17713.21.3.4.25 Default Network IP

CLI

Change:

config set networkLanDefaultIP 169.254.1.2

config save

config apply

Disable:

config set networkLanDefaultIP 0.0.0.0

config save

config apply

Thanks,

Sriram

1 Like

Thank you for the info, but I looked everywhere in the menu and I can't find the setting.

My ePMP 1000 AP version is 2.3.3

Configuration -> Network -> Static IP: 10.10.1.1, subnet, 255.0.0.0, gateway 10.1.1.1

I can still ping 169.254.1.1

....help!

Ok, I figured it out. ....I was trying to telnet into the radio. It's now SSH! :)

Hello Sri-ji,

I tried the commands and they worked on one radio.  On the second radio, I am not able to ping it now. It is taking the Ethernet a long time to show a 100bT connection. 

Is there anything I can do? Is there another default IP? Did the radio default itself?

The radio is on a tower now, so it is going to be a big problem to get it down and replace it. :(

Ram

Hi Ram, 

On the second radio, did you disable 169.254.1.1? If so, what address are you trying to ping? Was the radio set to DHCP or static IP. If it was DHCP and the radio failed to obtain an IP address from the DHCP server, it will use 192.168.0.1 (if its an AP) or 192.168.0.2 (if its an SM). Please try pinging those two address from the same subnet. If the IP address was set static, then you should be able to ping that address. 

If the radio has defaulted it should be reachable through the 192.168.0.x address or 169.254.1.1. 

If you are still having issues, you can always contact our support engineers 24/7 for assistance. They can be reached here: http://www.cambiumnetworks.com/support/contact-support

Thanks,
Sriram

Okay, I figure it out!

The radio had gone back to factory default, and IP was set for DHCP. So then I looked in my DHCP server and found the IP address and got back into it and re-uploaded the software image.  This time, I did it twice in case it has the same problem, it will come up with the same software.

Thanks Sri-ji for your quick response.

Ram

Why is 169.254.1.1 still pingable after I configure a static IP in the ePMP AP???

I am Facing same poblem in cambium epmp raios 

169.254.1.1 is always pingable for backup purpose incase the user forgot the ip address.

seems like the new firmware had remove the funciton to disable the 169.254.1.1

1 Like

I'll 2nd this.  Theres no need to have it.  Anybody that forgets an IP address probably shouldn't be using this stuff. It can be handy to have tower crew install a defaulted module and program it remotely for them.  This is no longer possible with hundreds of devices sharing the same IP.  

You said: "Anybody that forgets an IP address probably shouldn’t be using this stuff."

LOL well… I’ve been an ISP since 1997, and ran a BBS since 1982… and I’ve configured devices, and subsequently forgotten IPs, passwords, custom ports, erc, etc.

Yes everything should be labeled or logged, but people get interrupted or sidetracked and having a fallback is helpful for us less-than-eidetic memory folks. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Gotta agree Todd. We’ve got tens of thousands of devices to manage. Things happen, an oh crap access is nice.

Besides its only accessible via an untagged vlan. With switch port isolation and a well layed out network, its a nice tool in the tool box and not much of a security concern.

1 Like

"Anybody that forgets an IP address probably shouldn't be using this stuff."

Actually, since "this stuff" has a persistent IP, isn't it exactly what people that forget IP addresses should be using ?

I've been occasionally forgetting or misremembering or fat fingering IP addresses since the 90's... 

I also have to confess that I have, on occasion, had to use the "I forgot my password" button of shame.

1 Like

@fredd wrote:

169.254.1.1 is always pingable for backup purpose incase the user forgot the ip address.

Hi, 

Which new firmware do you see this issue? I assume you used CLI commands to disable it?

Thanks,

Sriram

@fredd wrote:

Hi, 

Which new firmware do you see this issue? I assume you used CLI commands to disable it?

Thanks,

Sriram

Have not worked with ePMP much and just discovered this. Kind of annoying having an ePMP being used as a bridge plugged into a network I program PMP450 SMs on. Is there a way to disable this besides SNMP command? Also, if you forget password and IP address on an ePMP is there any other rescue methods? The PMP450i/450b line has the power up procedure to get to default mode. I just don’t understand why the ePMP line cannot just do something like that?