24V and 54V PoE Pinout details for cnMatrix EX/TX series switches

Summary: This article provides 24V and 54V PoE Pinout details for the cnMatrix EX/TX series switches.

Per the 802.3 standard, a PoE Switch can implement deliver power per the following polarities:

pin

For all cnMatrix switches, our 2 Pair PoE (2PPoE) delivers 54V following Alt-A (MDI-X) polarity wiring. 2PPoE delivers up to 30W from the PoE port:

1/2 (negative)

3/6 (positive)

For our 4PPoE implementation (up to 90W power), we implement the 54V as Alt-A (MDI-X) from the data pairs, and Alt-B from the spare pairs.

1/2 (negative)

3/6 (positive)

4/5 (positive)

7/8 (negative)

When in Passive 24V mode, we switch off the 54V power on the data/spare pairs, and turn on 24V on the spare pairs following Alt-B.

1/2 (off)

3/6 (off)

4/5 (positive)

7/8 (negative)

2 Likes

Is there a list of what devices, in particular UBNT such as AF5XHD, AF60LR etc are compatible and under what mode?

You’ll need to update your cnMatrix switch to the 4.2.1-r5 release and try that first, if that doesn’t work, then you’ll need to update to the 4.3 beta.

For the AF60LR, you’ll want to use the mode “Passive 54V”, for other radios, that can take a range of voltages, like the AF5XHD (+18 to +54vdc), you can use either “Passive 24V or Passive 54V”.

1 Like

Eric I have a long list of devices to power on by switch.

Mimosa C5c, B5c, B11
Mikrotik CCR 1009, 1016 all models
Albentia 450, 850
Ubnt AF11
ePMP 180, 1000 Connectorized, 1000 GPS, 2000, 3000 and 3000L

Can you specify for each of them the exact PoE settings on switch ?

It could be really helpful.

I have not used many of those devices. Please refer to the attached document for some guidance on PoE support.
cnMatrix-TX-2K-Tower-WISP-Switches-Port-Connectivity-Guide.pdf (623.6 KB)

We have had a strange behaviour.

Into the lab with short patch cord we powered on successfully many radio which I listed here.

Onto the tower nothing of our exact model used into lab, powered on, maybe due to lightning protector, or length of cables. I don’t know.

We are having some problem changing from Netonix to cnMatrix…

I highly recommend you try the 4.3 beta. It fixes many issues with 3rd party PoE devices. If you’re still having issues, I’d recommend opening a support ticket.

1 Like

It would be great if Cambium could maintain a table about what products are supported and what settings to use. Perhaps sticky the thread and then update it as Cambium and other users test them.

3 Likes

I just created an excel file where I reported a devices list and two columns with Netonix configuration and cnMatrix related settings as well.

But the list should be filled with comments and on-field experience on that single product.

In case it helps anyone else, I powered up a Mikrotik 4011 using the standard automatic 802.3at no problems.

Mimosa B5C powered up ok using default 802.3 on port 3.

we are having many problem to power up a Mikrotik CCR1009-7C-1C-1S+PC

A post was split to a new topic: PoE problems with TX2012R-P

Aviat WTM4200 Hybrid 54V (90W) works on the TX1012
Cambium PTP820C & PTP820S, passive 54V works on the TX2020R
SAF Lumina Passive 54V on TX2020R
UBNT AF2X, 5X and 5XHD Passive 54V
UBNT Prism 5 and AC Lite Passive 24V

1 Like

What is the difference between the “Hybrid 90W” and the “Passive 54V”?

Hybrid = the switch first checks for 802.3* PoE standard compliance before sending any power. Basically, it sends a very small voltage, which an 802.3-compliant device (at/af/bt) will react to and the switch can sense that. However, after that basic initial handshake, it just provides as much power as the port is able to provide.

Hybrid is basically like a “safe” passive mode.

True passive will just output power on the port regardless of what is connected. This can potentially fry equipment, so I avoid using passive unless it is truly necessary, and then it is important to somehow label/flag the cables so equipment that can’t handle the voltage stays away from that port.

We have had success powering Siklu 8010 radios using the Hybrid 54V/4PPoE ports on TX switches.

Thanks Braden. I wonder if Cambium has a list of which products to use with which mode.

Cambium has a guide, but it only has Cambium products on it.
cnMatrix-TX-2K-Tower-WISP-Switches-Port-Connectivity-Guide.pdf (623.6 KB)

Hi @VincentSupport

“Hybrid 90W” typically refers to a PoE standard that supports high power delivery, up to 90 watts per port. This is mainly used to connect devices such as PTZ (Pan-Tilt-Zoom) cameras, high-performance wireless access points, and video conferencing systems. It uses the 802.3bt PoE standard, which enables the delivery of up to 90 watts of power per port.

“Passive 54V” PoE typically operates at a fixed voltage of 54 volts. Unlike standard PoE standards such as IEEE 802.3af and 802.3at, which negotiate power delivery between the switch and the powered device, passive PoE delivers power continuously without negotiation. Passive PoE standards usually support lower power levels compared to newer standards like Hybrid 90W.

In a Cambium Switch, for Passive 54V mode, the PoE LED will light up green. For standard 802.3 bt mode, the PoE LED will light up amber.

1 Like