450 background spectrum analyzer

It would be cool if we could have a background spectrum analyzer mode so we can see our current channel's noise floor.Something like schedule an Rx slot every 5 or 10 seconds and give me a 1 minute average. I don't like taking down a sector to run the SA during the day to find a noise problem. Seems this should already be possible with Listen-Before-Talk band radios?

Great idea George... we are looking into something like this already. The goal is the same, to provide more close to real time information on noise in (and outside) the band.

Keep the ideas coming.

I'd like to see this on the ePMP line as well, though I assume it wouldn't make it in until the hardware was changed to accomodate it.

Would be even better if the SA was GPS aware and didn't show RF from devices that are in Sync with the AP running the SA. In other words the SA should only listen for RF when the AP would be listening for RF. That way you only see RF that that your AP sees instead of you SA results being plastered with RF from neighboring synced APs.

I think sync'd SA would be an issue because you're going to see SM uplink RF coming back at the site. That is if you're not running the SA on every sector on the sites, and nearby sites, and competitor sites... the list goes on.

IMO, it would be more effective if all APs had a scheduled uplink SA slot so no SMs are transmitting, giving you a clear view of the noise floor.

Even with Sector SA now, it is very difficult to coordinate all APs to run at the same time. Maybe a time/date trigger configuration option that can be set on all APs. Run Sector SA at 2AM on the 15th of every month, on all APs.

I think you'd want that to run for a few frames...  every hour.

I think that if sync'd SA showed you that the AP was seeing SM uplink RF from anywhere then that is exactly what you want to see instead of that info being hidden under the RF coming from AP's you are sync'd with.

There is a related idea here: http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/Your-Ideas/GPS-Aware-Spectrum-Analyzer/idc-p/48473#M577