8.1 go or no go???

I’ve read a few issues with 8.1 but mostly concerning issues that I’m not involved in. I’m thinking about trying it on one omni AP with only 3 SM’s. What other things or issues has anyone else heard or what does anyone else think about the upgrade?

Thanks,
Jay

The issues I had were as follows:

BH20 on 5.4 . Link was unstable when upgraded to 8.1 Also ANY BH link will be very unstable unless you upgrade the Master first.

APs did not show any issues

SMs all defualt with DFS on which might be an issue to some on 5.4 Ghz. Also there are problems with most clients who use the NAT setting.

That is pretty much the same that I’m gathering so far. 90% of our system is 2.4 and the other 10 is 900. We haven’t been utilizing the NAT so far due to the fact we much rather rent a router on the client side which enables us a further testing point. Thanks for your input!

What about Syncpipes? Has anyone run into an issue with 8.1 on these?

vanilla wrote:

SMs all defualt with DFS on which might be an issue to some on 5.4 Ghz. Also there are problems with most clients who use the NAT setting.

Today in my office I pluged AP and SM for testing. They were set to 3 dbm. When I upgraded them to 8.1.4 the DFS on the SM was tuned on and it could not register.

Can somebody explain how this feature works in real life?

DFS if this is Dynamic Frequency Selection then its a bit rubbish. From what I am seeing on the forum, 8.1 is giving a few issues, I read something about NAT I have over a 1000 customers sitting on NAT.

mmm… maybe I will wait another year for 8.2 :slight_smile:

Okay, so far so good. Have three SM’s on a single AP with 8.1 on the units. I really like what they have done to the new interface. It has some really useful features especially on the link test portion, sessions page, etc. I did notice some immediate signal fluctuations right after an SM registered but it did level out to the original level before the upgrade. I’m going to watch this for a couple of days and I’ll let everyone know what I have found.

Syncpipes seem to have no effect on 8.1

I agree with you sirs

release 8.1.4 work quite bizarre.
I’ve got one AP and two Sm in lab with this release but occurs some strange behaviours:

- during some band test with iperf sometimes SM disconnect from AP and DFS start run
- another Sm after nat enable work fine until i disable nat, in fact after reboot and registration if i try telnet command or CNUt degrading to 736 than Sm disconnect and DFS start works

I’m working to understand a step by step procedure to replicate these events

Mmm, i think I will wait 8.2 like vj! Meybe with an intelligent DFS :?:

vj: there certainly are some NAT issues. We’re not quite to the scale that you are yet, but we have about 200 units on our network, 98% using NAT. We installed one 8.1.4 SM (didn’t upgrade any of the APs) and had serious NAT issues. Downgraded back to 7.3.6 after only a few days and all is well again. I don’t know if the problem would be better or worse if I had upgraded the AP as well.

I did send the event log from the radio, which showed a couple of stack dumps, off to Moto support. They wanted more info, but by the time I had received the response (it was over the weekend…) I had already downgraded the client radio.

All I know is that we’re holding off until the NAT issue is addressed. If I get the time, I’m going to set up a lab with an AP and an SM both on 8.1.4 and see what happens.

did you revisit this again… I would test with the AP and SM on the same version

Not yet. Still cleaning up from the ice storm. Not sure when I’ll be able to get to it…

I’ve installed v8 on four 2.4 P9 SMs and have a 50% success rate.

After upgrading, I am unable to bring up the GUI or telnet into two of them. My laptop is auto-negotiating and shows a 100Mb connection full duplex after the unit reboots. If I ping the SM with -n 100, I get sporadic responses, but mostly time out errors.

If I downgrade the software to 7.36, everything works fine again.

Called Mot. Support and was told to try setting the negotiation speed on the laptop to each of the four settings to see what happens then. I did so and can get into the two SMs at 10Mb full duplex only.

I called Support again to question this and was told that “It isn’t an issue” because no-one else is reporting this as a problem “and besides, even at 10Mb it is faster than the SM.”

Thanks a lot. Last time I checked, every recall in the world, every software issue in the world started with one person reporting it so a fix could be found. Is it possible I am the first person to experience this or are there others?

And the Tech was right - it’s not a problem [u:11lp81hi]unless you do an update [/u:11lp81hi]to all your customers out there in the field, half (based on my current experience) who suddenly loose their access start calling and screaming and you have to start performing support to all these people to explain to them how to set negotiation speeds on their equipment so they can talk to the SM again.

Anyone out there had this problem, have better suggestions than I got from Tech Support, or am I all alone?

I have had A 5.7AP with 2 SM’s at customers sites running for 18 day’s with no issues. Not running NAT.

Radnet wrote:
I've installed v8 on four 2.4 P9 SMs and have a 50% success rate.

After upgrading, I am unable to bring up the GUI or telnet into two of them. My laptop is auto-negotiating and shows a 100Mb connection full duplex after the unit reboots. If I ping the SM with -n 100, I get sporadic responses, but mostly time out errors.

If I downgrade the software to 7.36, everything works fine again.

Called Mot. Support and was told to try setting the negotiation speed on the laptop to each of the four settings to see what happens then. I did so and can get into the two SMs at 10Mb full duplex only.

I called Support again to question this and was told that "It isn't an issue" because no-one else is reporting this as a problem "and besides, even at 10Mb it is faster than the SM."

Thanks a lot. Last time I checked, every recall in the world, every software issue in the world started with one person reporting it so a fix could be found. Is it possible I am the first person to experience this or are there others?

And the Tech was right - it's not a problem [u:1netp0a3]unless you do an update [/u:1netp0a3]to all your customers out there in the field, half (based on my current experience) who suddenly loose their access start calling and screaming and you have to start performing support to all these people to explain to them how to set negotiation speeds on their equipment so they can talk to the SM again.

Anyone out there had this problem, have better suggestions than I got from Tech Support, or am I all alone?

This really sounds like a 300SS problem to me. Do you get the same results with the 300SS removed?
you have to start performing support to all these people to explain to them how to set negotiation speeds on their equipment so they can talk to the SM again.

This is by no means a fix, but you could set the speed negotiation on the SM instead of the COAM equipment. But this only solves the symptom, not the problem. Have you tried other cabling? Perhaps v8 is more susceptible to cable induced issues? But the same Ethernet chipset is used. Hmmmm... Tough one....

Aaron
I called Support again to question this and was told that "It isn't an issue" because no-one else is reporting this as a problem "and besides, even at 10Mb it is faster than the SM."

I'm fairly certain this is Motorola's "oh, shit, I'll go into denial" response. I've received it from them before on issues like re-propagation of broadcasts by subscriber modules, bizarre vlan problems, and other things.

I haven't started playing with 8.1 yet since I have 1800+ customers in NAT mode and after hearing about issues others have experienced, I 'm hesitant to screw with their service, but I'm even more leary of upgrading the more I see these kinds of problems. :-\'

My advice: keep pressuring them. Other people haven't reported it yet? It doesn't make your issue any less real. And there's the likelihood that many are waiting to try like me, so of course other people aren't reporting the issue. :)

Just thought I would give everyone an update…Everything is running smooth with 8.1 for me. No NAT all running on 2.4 AP’s. We have 3 sites and aprox. 60 customers so far on 8.1 and they are doing well. Wish I could say the same for everyone else, I’m still not holding my breath. I still would like to say this a month from now.

jbrumme

Are your BH’s also running 8.1.4 or are you still on an older FW?

Currently we are not using any Canopy BH’s. We went with the Orthogon approach. We will be installing our first 5.7 BH today to see how it works and I will let you know when I see the performance and monitor it for about a week.