820 pipe with access and trunk

we have a set of quick config links with pipes passing all vlans and mng for iband management

we have a setup corenetwork--a2-ethernet-b1-b2-remotesite as 820

its working fine however at the location where a2 and b1 have a  cable connection eth1 to eth1 we need to add an access port on one of the other ethernet ports on a2 for 1 of the transiting vlans to give the customer that owns the location access to avoid adding a switch between the 2 units

is this possible if so how i cant seem to figure out the process

Hello, I'm not sure I fully understand the desired setup.  Would you be able to provide a brief network diagram showing the existing and desired setups, including VLANs?

It sounds like you want to change from a single ethernet PIPE to a multiple ethernet 'PIPE', but do you want the same on both ends of the link?  Does the data need to remain segregated across the RF link?

It is most likely doable, but would need some additional information to confirm a setup.  Some of these other links may also help:

http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/Licensed-Microwave/Running-two-seperate-networks-across-a-PtP-820/m-p/69690#U69690

http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/Licensed-Microwave/LAG-options-for-PTP-820S/m-p/72222#M559

http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/PTP-Configuration-Examples/Configuring-LAG-and-In-Band-Management-on-a-PTP820C/m-p/77659#M56

http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/Licensed-Microwave/How-to-Achieve-over-1-Gbps-with-PTP820-product/m-p/36656#M8

See attached sorry for the poor MSPAINT drawing don't have visio where I'm at.

Basically, the setup shown works, minus the "customer" that needs access to vlan 20 on the second 820, basically I want to be able to let that customer access one of the vlans that passing from end to end of the 820 string (but vlan 20 must reach to the end to the 450ap's as well.

I'm trying to avoid having to do something weird like a second pipe and a second port on the first 820 on another ethernet port to pass the single vlan across the radio form eth2 to eth2

This should be doable, but will require an additional GbE port license on the PTP820 that will have the ETH2 interface enabled (and possibly an SFP).  The following comments/configuration would only be necessary on the PTP820 with data coming in on ETH2; the other PTP820 configurations can remain the same. 

Before you attempt this on a live link, I will forward this setup to our support group for verification.

Assuming that you have the PTP820 RF connections currently setup as a PIPE, only 1 PIPE connection can exist on a single interface (i.e. Radio).  We will be setting up a different kind of P2P service using the SNP/SAP structure.

Your diagram also looks like you are using in-band management, which will make implementing these changes a bit more difficult and probably requires you to be on site, plugged into the MGMT/PROT port on the radio.

1. Delete the services points under the P2P service (there should be one for the radio and one for the ETH interface)

2. Add a new service point:

• Radio Slot 1: Port 1 SNP S-Tag 10

3. Add another service point

• ETH2 SAP dot1q C-VLAN 20

4. Add another service point

• ETH1 SAP All-to-One

The management (MNG) service should remain the same.  

Again, please don't implement on a live link until I verify.

1 Like

Hello, it looks like I was close to the ideal setup, but there are some serious considerations that may make this undesirable.  From left to right, I'll refer to the PTP820's as 820-1, 820-2, 820-3, and 820-4.  I've also attached some pictures that may help.

Assuming in band management (payload and management traffic on ETH1), this becomes burdensome if you have many VLAN's going through the radios.

- Reconfigure 820-1 as a P2P service with two service points:

- Radio Slot 2 Port 1 = SNP S-Tag 10

- ETH1 = SAP Bundle-C

- Attach all of the allowed VLAN's to this service point.

- This is where it becomes difficult since your diagram references 4000+ vlans and we can't specify a range (you will end up with a line item for each VLAN)

- Reconfigure 820-2 as a MP service with three service points:

- ETH1 = SAP Bundle-C

- Attach all of the allowed VLAN's to this service point.

- This is where it becomes difficult since your diagram references 4000+ vlans and we can't specify a range

- ETH2 = SAP dot1q C-VLAN 20

If you are doing Out of band management (dedicated cable into the MNG port), then this design becomes more simple.

- Reconfigure 820-1 as a P2P service with two service points:

- ETH1 = SAP All-2-one

- Reconfigure 820-2 as a MP service with three service points:

- ETH1 = SAP All-2-one

- ETH2 = SAP dot1q C-VLAN 20

- A phyical network cable is needed between Core and 820-1, and 820-2 and 820-3 (and possibly between 820-4 and PMP450/onsite switch)

Ideally we would test in a lab first, and I would recommend taking a backup of the current configuration as a fall-back.  Changes like this will most likely require you to be onsite, plugged into the MNG port on the radio.   You will need the extra license, that I referenced before, on 820-2, but no other licensing for either setup.  I've attached some management considerations.  Hope this helps.