bandwidth tests

Hi Guys,

This may have already been covered but I couldn’t find anything specific. We are an ISP with about 7 clusters. I am having problems delivering bandwidth to the SM’s.

If I try to conduct a single download the max I can get is 256kpbs no matter what the settings on the SM, but if I use a download manger (multi-threaded downloader) I can pull the max download speed.

Is there an inherent problem with canopy being compatible with TCP or this there anyway I can do to resovle my problem. I have CIR customers who are not happy.

Rgds
Ash

CIR over wireless is a pretty bad idea, IMHO. Doesn’t help you here, but I just hate it when people promise something they can’t deliver, no wonder your customers are unhappy.

My VSAT on CIR seem fine as do all my WIRELESS wan links using the same kit. IMHO you must really hate Motorola then!!

Anyone used Xpress on packeteer ?
Does the advantage platform work any better in regards to this, I believe the latency is much better.

vj wrote:
My VSAT on CIR seem fine as do all my WIRELESS wan links using the same kit. IMHO you must really hate Motorola then!!

Depends on the day.

And you'll have better luck with Advantage stuff.

So CIR works fine with Advantage equipment?

Has anyone using Advantage had any CIR problems?

bump :slight_smile:

I really think that you should check the bandwidth between the SM and your gateway. Downloading something from internet may provide misleading results as the bottleneck can be anywhere between the SM and the internet server you’re downloading from.

Best way to test the bandwidth inside the network is to use iperf or netio on the gateway and behind the SM (on your laptop or customer’s PC).

Thank you for the response yazzgoth. I will try that. :slight_smile:

Providing CIR is only a problem as long as you can deliver eh? Good way to make more $ per subscriber, but as Shaman points out, can generate pain too. If you are not charging for it, don’t offer it.

This sounds like a configuration problem to me.

Can you describe your network topology flow from the SM to the Internet?

Are you using a BW manager? If so, what? What happens if you take it out of the system?

If you are using the canopy equipment to manage BW, have you configured the AP to use the SM as the configuration source?

What is the SM sustained and burst throughput set to? I have inadvertently set the Up/Down backwards in SM’s in the past. Slow downloads, but they could send attachments really fast :slight_smile:

Are you using the CIR feature in the radios? what is it? what happens if you set it higher?

When you perform link test from the AP to the SM, what are the results?

If possible generate screen shots, post them to a server, and then link to them here. Try to make the screen shots large.

Jerry Richardson wrote:
Providing CIR is only a problem as long as you can deliver eh? Good way to make more $ per subscriber, but as Shaman points out, can generate pain too. If you are not charging for it, don't offer it.

Believe me, if it were up to me, I would definitely not offer it. However the superiors are saying that they want it as an option to sell. :?

Can you describe your network topology flow from the SM to the Internet?

Well at the moment, my "network topology" includes 1 AP, 1 SM, and a laptop. Yes...I'm still in the testing stages of this :shock:

It goes from Internet (partial DS3 line)--->switch---->AP---->SM(w/NAT)---->Laptop
Are you using a BW manager? If so, what? What happens if you take it out of the system?

No, BAM was a bit "pricey" so I'm just using the SM as the configuration source.
If you are using the canopy equipment to manage BW, have you configured the AP to use the SM as the configuration source?

Yes sir :wink:
What is the SM sustained and burst throughput set to? I have inadvertently set the Up/Down backwards in SM's in the past. Slow downloads, but they could send attachments really fast :-)

:lol: Yes, during testing I've done that quite a few times, then caught myself and fixed it. Right now it's set to 512kbps up and 1536kbps (1.5Mb) down.
My burst rates are just doubled from the sustained rate (I believe I saw someone here suggest doing that).
Are you using the CIR feature in the radios? what is it? what happens if you set it higher?

I haven't tested the CIR feature yet, but truthfully I'm not even sure how to configure it correctly. That why I asked if anyone had success or other problems with CIR in Advantage equipment.
When you perform link test from the AP to the SM, what are the results?

The results for the Downlink RATE and Uplink RATE tend to equal the 7Mb capacity of the equipment, but shouldn't they be closer to the Sustained data rates that are set? If not, how am I supposed to test the Sustained Data Rates?
If possible generate screen shots, post them to a server, and then link to them here. Try to make the screen shots large.

Here's the AP's Configuration Page:

And the SM's Configuration Page:

Sorry, they're kind of chopped up and pasted together from a few screen shots.

Thanks again Jerry :wink:

By the way, please forgive my ignorance. I am but a simple college grad (with no experience) thrown into this world of Canopy and I don't fully know what I'm doing. :roll:

It looks to me like you need to set the up and down in your ap max out the up and down then control it at the sm.

also your sm should be in operation mode, if you leave it in aiming mode it takes longer for it to log in.

If you don’t have a cmm you should look at getting one in the near future you will have problems without one

clueless wrote:
It looks to me like you need to set the up and down in your ap max out the up and down then control it at the sm.

I thought it didn't matter :?: but I will try that.

also your sm should be in operation mode, if you leave it in aiming mode it takes longer for it to log in.

If you don't have a cmm you should look at getting one in the near future you will have problems without one

We have a CMMmicro but's it's not hooked up yet. In fact, it's sitting in a box right next to me :D

I guess I failed to mention that this little set up is all in the same room. I don't know if that is going to effect my results or not. :?

if you start getting a headache you might want to leave the room

:shock: come to think of it…naw, no I’m ok for now :wink:

also you can enable the 2x in the ap and then select sm’s you want to enable

Really? I just assumed it had to be enabled or disabled in both…but we all know what happens when you assume :roll: Thanks :!:

No, with it enabled even the sm’s you don’t select will see some benifits

Sweet :smiley: I’m going to try that right now.

If both the AP and SM are in the same room you may have some problems in getting them talk to each other. You may have to lower the power levels and even somehow dampen the signal (like put it behind the doors or under the desk).

Umm, also watch out for your head… don’t get it boil your brain cells :twisted:
I always try to keep away from operating AP/SM in normal power mode when I need to spend some time with it.

:lol: Thanks for the tips yazzgoth!

They actually are able to talk to each other i.e. I can get on the internet on my laptop through the AP and SM, however, I will try to lower the power level and see what happens. :wink: