CNMaestro X Licensing Questions

I’m glad I’m not the only one who finds the licensing a little bit odd.

@Cambium_Ajay What I hinted to in the last paragraph is the ability to buy a Cambium product and have the license bundled with the product ie inside the box.I’d rather buy hardware and have 5Y license key included in the box and not have to deal with the overhead of maintaining individual licenses for thousands of devices spread over multiple continents. The moment I have to buy licensing as a separate line item I have to go through different financial departments (ie capex + opex divisions).The other fun part for those of us outside of the US, is that the pricing is highly dependent on our Dollar to local currency value so pricing that I receive from my MSP’s is usually not valid for more than 24H. By the time I receive 4-5 quotes from different MSP’s pricing is usually invalid. What the MSP’s usually do is add some extra markup to try and cover costs but all this does is hurt your case because it makes the product even more expensive. You guys are starting to enter Aruba levels of pricing, and whilst the E series are good AP’s they’re not Aruba levels of good.

I think Cambium should look into introducing bulk licensing/bulk pricing for these bigger ISP’s/WISPs as it seems to be really hurting their bottom line.

1 Like

8 dollars (per year) for a single costumer SM is to high.
10.000 costumers costumers (many of them are families that pay very low fee) are 80.000 dollars per year.
I think would be better if you need to pay only the AP (450 etc…) or also better pay N dollars per year for the cnMaestro X utilization.

1 Like

Just wanted to reiterate that cnMaestro X is not the replacement of cnMaestro, which you have been using for more than 5+ years. Starting from 3.0.0, cnMaestro comes into two variants – cnMaestro Essentials and cnMaestro X. We are committed to continue with cnMaestro Essentials free of cost. So if you feel that cnMaestro Essentials suffices your requirement and you don’t need any of the advanced capabilities, then you can still continue with cnMaestro Essentials.

Thanks,
Ajay

2 Likes

To give an idea of some of the differences between cnMaestro Essentials and cnMaestro X: features in the current version of cnMaestro that have a “Pro” icon next to them are what would be considered part of cnMaestro X. Everything else in 2.4.2 is included in cnMaestro Essentials for free.

Advanced new features are also being developed for cnMaestro X beyond the 2.4.2 release.

1 Like

There’s the 10.000 devices limit in the Essential?

1 Like

Hello @Cambium_Ajay & @Jordan,
The cnMaestro platform has been a good support tool for us as a systems integrator and growing MSP during the past few years with many organisations.

We have a few questions on the evolution to cnMaestro X:

• If a client does not take up cnMaestro X, can we still monitor & collect statics, back-up the configs and update the firmware for all of those clients through the Essentials version (as could be done previously)?
  • What happens when onboarding new equipment and systems, is there a certain number of days grace period to use and let the customer experience the cnMaestro X?
  • When will all of the organisations complete get transferred over to cnMaestro X?
  • We work with another manufacture who bundles 1 year of their cloud system as part of the warranty, would Cambium consider doing this?

Some of or all of these may have been covered in a previous post or announcement, if so please reply with a link to that for us and others following to reference back to.
Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

PS, I did read through this post looking for answers

Any of you using MSP to manage your customers are going to have to manually reconfigure all those APs back to an essential in a separate account for each AP. We have all our customers in an easy to manage system right now that will go away. I asked them to adopt the Fortinet MSP model where I pay a $1000 fee for the year so we can manage our customers and the extra features are then on another license. My request obviously fell on deaf ears as i am on the webinar now. You have to have a license for every AP you have. This is just a HUGE money grab they are trying to make. Unless we fight back with dollars they will not listen. We will move to selling fortinet and extreme who allow multi-client management in a better format for an MSP. Now I have to go to my customers and explain why I am switching them from cambium.

2 Likes

Answers below in line behind your questions.

NO need a license to be managed in MSP mode like we do now - Start to migrate customers now you have 90 days.

No

Happened today

It is bundling support in the license. See my other comment on the MSP license issue.

1 Like

Looking here:

It shows

cnMaestro X Support

Cambium Care Pro

– 24 x 7 Support for basic and complex technical questions
– Software updates included
– Assistance with hardware diagnosis
– Accelerated access to Level 2 and Level 3 engineers
– Standard hardware warranty

If I want to buy cnpilot e410 AP and do basic management and software upgrades in the free tier of cnMaestro can I do that now and in the future indefinitely? Or will e410 always require paid annual services per device to use cnMaestro?

Do I have to pay for cnMaestro X licenses to get software upgrades and get a standard hardware warranty?

Is any technical support included if I purchase a cnpilot E410 and do not pay per AP for support?

Q> “If I want to buy cnpilot e410 AP and do basic management and software upgrades in the free tier of cnMaestro can I do that now and in the future indefinitely?”
A> You do not have to purchase cnMaestro X subscription and can continue to use cnMaestro Essentials (license-free)

Q> “Do I have to pay for cnMaestro X licenses to get software upgrades and get a standard hardware warranty?”
A> You will get software updates for cnMaestro Essentials without a paid subscription

Q>“Is any technical support included if I purchase a cnpilot E410 and do not pay per AP for support?”
A> 8x5 technical support is included with cnMaestro Essentials

MSP Rollback question
So if someone has been using MSP with a bunch of sub-companies and now has been upgraded to cnMaestroX. What happens “Exactly” in 60+ days if there is no paid upgrade to X.

I assume that the managed services button will disappear and all of the MSP customer accts will no longer be active.
That’s fine, however, what happens to the AP Groups, WAN’s, MSP organization etc.
Again, I assume that these will just fall into Essentials similar to a non MSP account.

BUT … assumptions aside, can we get clear direction.

Of course then there is all of the work of moving them out to their own acct.
Just don’t want everything to blow up in 60+ days if that is not done.

1 Like

Here is what will happen after downgrade to Essentials:

Managed Account users get logged out
Managed Services tab gets hidden
Managed Account configuration changed to read only
Managed Accounts > Users tab gets hidden
Managed Accounts are changed to ready only

After downgrade there is no change to device tree or network structure. It is up to MSP to delete the managed accounts and move devices from managed accounts to base infrastructure.
Details also available in the cnMaestro X Features section of the embedded user guide.

Hi.

Is pricing for cnMaestro already known? Our distributor still doesn’t have prices for us and we only have a month of trial left…

Kind regards

Pricing has been published and the Distributors should have access to it. Please request you Distributor to contact their Cambium representative.

Thanks,

1 Like

CnMaestro Essentials has limit of 10.000 devices?

Yes. That is correct.

-Ajay

And what if I want to stay in Essentials but I have more than 10.000? Lets say I have on-premises, so I need to install a second Essentials Server to manage over 10K or pay for example 12.000 devices for upgrading to CNMaestro X?

If we have cnMaestro with only WiFi APs, we need only MSX-SUB-T3-5?

Case:
50x e600 APs

We need:
50x MSX-SUB-T3-5

And we are done for 5 years?

Kind regards

Probably there is a mistake in specifications sheet on this link?

Kind regards

Hi,

It depends on your requirements. If you need cnMaestro X for all 12, 000 devices, then you will have to buy subscription for all of them. If you don’t need cnMaestro X, then you will have to split into two installations to keep them under 10K limit for Essentials.

-Ajay