Customer looking for help

I’ve had my service hooked up for over a year now and out of that year, i have gotten about a month and a half of good service out of it. They came out once and fixed a bad connector on the cable and it worked fine for a bout a month. After that it started messing up again. I would have internet activity off and on all day. Some times it would only go down for a minute and sometimes up to 5 or 6 minutes. I started pinging the AP recently and noticed that when the internet isn’t working, I’m getting 100% packet loss which leads me to believe that I’m losing signal with the AP. For some reason the service provider doesn’t know why this is happening and hasn’t really been helpful in trying to fix my problem. Any ideas that I could ask them about? Thanks in advance…

Do you have a router?

silver,

alot of the info we need, you will not have access to. it may be worth getting the service provider to come to the forum.

we need info from the SM at your premises and the A
P you are looking at.

The problem may well be at the providers backend…

im going assume that a service provider wouldnt give them the AP ip to ping. he is probably trying to ping the SM. What is the IP you are trying to ping? is the box you are trying to ping located on your house or is it on a hill somewhere?

If you can not ping the SM then you are looking at many things…computer problems,router problems, cabling problems, network problems, modem failure…etc

If you are pinging the the AP on the hill then you are most likely looking at a freq problem,aiming problem, or even a power problem on the hill. do any of your neighbors have the same issue?

If your isp gave the access ip for the modem are you able to see your jitter while you are disconnected? if so what does it read?

more information provided allows us to help trouble shoot. VJ is right, suggest that your WISP spends on some time on this forum researching basic problems and trouble shooting.

Let’s see just how far you are actually getting.

First open a command prompt
- Click Start, Run

Enter CMD in the Run Bar and hit enter. You will get a DOS window

Type:
>tracert www.google.com

Copy (Edit, Select All, Edit, Copy) and paste the results here.

I have access to the canopy but not the AP. I can watch the staus when the internet isn’t working and it goes from scanning to syncing to registering then back to scanning. Some times it does that for 5 minutes or so before it actually registers. The service provider gave me the ip address to the AP to ping when I was having trouble. It’s not the ip to the SM.
This is what I got when running the tracert
C:'Documents and Settings’Chris>tracert www.google.com

Tracing route to www.l.google.com [216.239.37.99]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * * * Request timed out.
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 92 ms 515 ms 228 ms 216.239.37.99

Trace complete.

You have weak signal from your house to the AP.

What type of SM do you have?

whats your jitter when its registered?

I have a 900 MHz Multipoint SM with software version 7.3.6 I average about 1580 RSSI and the jitter averages about 2 or 3 but goes up to 5 or 6 sometimes. I’m not sure what it goes to right before it loses registration though.

Does your unit have an internal antenna (all one component) or an external antenna (2 components).

If you have rights, you could enable the spectrum analyzer and see what the noise level is like in that area. Then you would want to turn off the spectrum analyzer and look at the status page and see what your signal level is. If your signal level is too close the noise in your area, you will have registration problems.

Do you have line of sight to the tower? If not can go move the radio to a location that has less obstructions? If you can reduce the amount of foliage, you might be able to stay registered.

Do you have a 900MHz phone or a 2.4GHz/5GHz phone with 900MHz paging?

If you have rights to make changes, turn off 2x rate.

when you are registred what is the distance between you and the AP

I’m not sure if the antenna is internal or external. I just have this square antenna on my rooftop. It appears to be all one component. I can activate the spectrum analyzer but I’m not really sure how to read it. I do not have line of sight with the tower, there is a row of trees a good distance off that is in front of it. I have a 2.4 GHz phone, don’t know what the paging runs at though. 2x is already turned off. I’m approximately 1.17 miles (6174 feet) away from the AP. Thanks for all the help so far guys!

You have an Integrated 900MHz Canopy radio. This unit should be good to 15 miles with a clear line of sight depending on the noise floor, and should easily handle 1.74 miles with a few trees assuming they are not Pine trees.

When it does register, look at the status page and see what the radio power level is (this is the level from the AP at the SM).

Unplug your phone and see if you get an improved link. Look for anything else in the house that operates at 900MHz.

What is the power output setting on the radio? It will be on the config screen and is measured in dBm. If it’s less than 28dB you can start increasing it in 3dB increments - rebooting after each change until you get a good link.

Last call the ISP and see if they can swap your power supply. The power supplies are known to take a hit and then perform below spec.

FYI the reason we are helping you is because your ISP is a bonehead and should have taken care of this a long time ago or pulled the system out. I am sure the day DSL comes to town you’ll be gone. Guys, this is a case-lesson in why we need to give excellent service or none at all.

The radio power level is -64 dBm. Power output is 28 dBm. The power supply has been changed before. My ISP does suck, their customer service is crap. They just seem to blow me off most of the time. And you’re right, if I had access to DSL, I would have been done with them already.

I can’t figure out why you can’t stay registered. You have plenty of signal. The only thing I can think of is that there is interference.

One other thing to look at is the AP Eval Data page. Look and see if there is another AP with as good or better signal and try changing your color code to that.

Are you getting any error on the ethernet it’s self CRC or CarSense Loss? Sould be under the Ethernet stats page.

Do you have the ability to raise the antenna at your house? If you enable the spectrum analyzer let it run for a few minutes and click on the refresh button (on the spectrum analyzer page, not the internet explorer page)

Basically the less green the better. If you can do a print screen, save it in as a .jpg in microsoft paint, and then post the results here.

Also, try to find out what frequency you are using.

My guess is that your signal was marginal when they put it in and you are having problems overcoming trees or other obstacles. Raising the antenna is probably the best bet however I wouldnt want to make that assumption without knowing more.

I’m getting no errors under the ethernet stats page. I do not have the ability to raise the antenna. I have asked the company to switch me to another tower though, but they keep blowing me off. I’m currently connected to a tower with the 906mHz range. Here’s a pic of my spectrum analyzer. [img=http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.bc9db0959f.jpg]

That’s what I would expect you to see being only a short distance from the tower.

Are you certain that the radio is pointed directly at the tower? You might try tilting the radio up a little so it is aimed a little higher than the tower.

Better hope for DSL/Cable soon. Your ISP won’t be around long…

By any chance are you getting an IP address, if so see if you can ping your gateways IP address. If so then I would think that the problem may lie with possibly with your DNS settings or you service providers DNS settings. I have seen viruses that mess with the host table and cause pings to discard or time out when pinging a domain name.

One other thing to check, if you are getting an IP address is to see if the IP address matches one that is in your ISPs pool of addresses, not that somebody has there LAN port on there router plugged into the canopy network. The service provider should have at the very least got you to do an ipconfig or check your IP address on your router, if they are even half decent.

Also any service provider that would not try and get this resolved is not worth the trouble. In my opinion I would try and look for a different provider.

I don’t think you are having a problem with the radio itself, unfortunatly if sounds more like bad tech support at the IPS level, that and the ISP just does not want to do any service calls.