Device denied by radius but remains online

We rely on radius for authentication and we had a client that was online with radius for several weeks, but we removed them from our radius so they would get an access-reject on reauthentication... 

But we just realized that for some reason their radio is online still over a week later. 

Whats odd is we can see on the AP that they did get rejected during a reauth, but are still connected! This is a huge issue.

Rebooting the client SM, and now they are getting rejected properly and aren't getting online, but that should have happened naturally during a session rereg/reauth, like I said as you can see below the client is still connected since 63 days, even though radius state is showing "request denied"

Shouldn't the request denied during reauth that we see above have forced the device offline this seems like a bug.

AP running 15.2.1

2 Likes

Hi CSup,

Is this mechanism something you've used in the past to disconnect a client and has worked correctly? (i.e. has removing a customer from radius worked as intended and given them an access-reject on re-auth, but this was an isolated incident?)

If you happened to have pulled any logs from the client before rebooting it those would be helpful. I'll talk to someone in test about reproducing this issue in our lab, but we hadn't heard of anything like this previously. Thanks for the info, and we'll get back to you if we find anything.

-Al

We’ve used it in the past and never had an issue, this is the first time we’ve seen the radius showing denied while the client still connected.

Thought this is one of those thing that’s hard to verify because you have to wait for the reauth to occur and see what the AP does to the SM

But like I said we use it for hundreds of clients a week and never got complaints before but not sure if this is because the CSR noticed something odd was up this time and just missed other times it happened.

No I didn’t get logs as people were quite upset as the customer had supposed to been disconnected for a while.

Chris

Well, the good news is our team in India was able to reproduce it overnight, so we’ve got someone tracking the issue down. Seems it may have cropped up during 15.2 development.

Not so good news is it’s most likely too late to make the cut for 16.0.1, but we’ll make sure to fix it in the next release. In the meantime, I’d suggest forcing a reboot of the SM after removing it from Radius as a workaround until we can get that fix in a build for you.

Thanks for the heads up.

Ouch this is a nasty bug, as we rely on it HEAVILY, and manually rebooting hundreds of devices each week really isn't an option. Is it a constant error or something that will only affect certain people?

No chance it slips into 16.0.1 :( I thought it had another week or so of testing to go XD

Can you please confirm what version you use on SM ?

Network is currently standardized on 15.2.1 (pending 16.0.1 final, was going to be our next major network upgrade)...

We have a few stragglers on 15.1.2.1 (installers that miss that extra 1 in between when checking the radio during install lol)

1 Like

Thanks CSup,

Can you please send engieering.cgi of both AP and affected SM to chitrang dot srivastava at cambiumnetworks.com

Thanks,

sent

This issue is fixed in 16.1 BETA-3. Please try it out and let us know.

We would really like someone to validate this fix as soon as possible. We are a few weeks away from release on 16.1, but don't have a lot of feedback from Beta users yet.

Hi Matt,

Is it possible the Beta might fix the radius issue we have over in this thread?

https://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/PMP-450/PMP450x-Release-16-0-1-is-now-available/m-p/104487/highlight/false#M8079

If so, we might be willing to upgrade an AP to Beta and try it out.

@rnelson wrote:

Hi Matt,

Is it possible the Beta might fix the radius issue we have over in this thread?

https://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/PMP-450/PMP450x-Release-16-0-1-is-now-available/m-p/104487/highlight/false#M8079

If so, we might be willing to upgrade an AP to Beta and try it out.

Hi rnelson,

Yes. The radius issue you were referring to, CPY-15643, is fixed in 16.1 BETA-3.

Please try it out and let us know. We would appreciate your feedback.

Best Regards,

Balaji