Difference between the "PMP 450b" and "PMP 450b Mid-Gain" product names

Hello!

We have an on-site CNMaestro instance managing around seven thousand devices and in it we see three product names for the PMP 450b:

1. PMP 450b
  2. PMP 450b Mid-Gain
  3. PMP 450b High-Gain

However, we don't know the difference between the 450b and 450b Mid-Gain devices. Whenever we buy them we just buy them as 450b. So why are there two different product names for what we think it's the same device? Is there a difference?

Thank you

Jean Pagán

Jean,

Thanks for the post. I'm not exactly sure why you're seeing the three different models, as there are only two 450b hardware models we currently sell: PMP 450b Mid-Gain (which is 16 dBi gain) and PMP 450b High Gain (23 dBi gain dish). Both have the same capabilities, just different gain antennas.

We will have to look into this further.

Charlie

2 Likes

Hello, Charlie

Thanks for the quick reply. Could it be possible that some older mid-gain PMP450b devices set their product names as "PMP 450b" instead of "PMP 450b Mid-Gain" or vice versa? Is there a way to verify this with our devices already installed on the field?

Jean

@aerojean wrote:

Hello, Charlie

Thanks for the quick reply. Could it be possible that some older mid-gain PMP450b devices set their product names as "PMP 450b" instead of "PMP 450b Mid-Gain" or vice versa? Is there a way to verify this with our devices already installed on the field?

Jean

Jean, yes that is likely. 

In the future, we are looking at making a change to simply display "PMP 450b" in cnMaestro. We are thinking of doing a change in the device side, maybe fixing in 16.1.

In the meantime, I don't think this is anything to be concerned about as it's not affecting any functional difference. Basically just need to know if it's a 450b and if it's gain 16 or 24 dBi.

Charlie

I just checked all the devices of type "PMP 450b" and "PMP 450b Mid-Gain" in our cnMaestro and noticed that all the devices of type "PMP 450b" have a software version of 15.x.x and all those of type "PMP 450b Mid-Gain" have a software version of 16.x.x. This leads me to believe that the naming convention was already pushed in version 16.

In the future, we are looking at making a change to simply display "PMP 450b" in cnMaestro. We are thinking of doing a change in the device side, maybe fixing in 16.1.

So then after 16.1 all the PMP 450b mid-gain devices will have a product type of just "PMP 450b" like that ones from version 15.x.x of my cnMaestro instance? Will the high gain model still be labeled as high gain? This is important to us as we're building software that uses the cnMaestro API to communicate with other systems and it uses the product type of the devices as one of its dependencies.

Thanks

Jean