ePMP 1000 WiFi mode

Hello,

Can someone eleborate on the ePMP 1000 new software releases 2.3 and 2.4 that support WiFi mode?

a. How does this work?

b. Can my customers access wifi from any of my subscriber modules in my network?

Thanks

Sepoe

1 Like

Hi Sepoe, 

Customers will not be able to access wifi from your ePMP  subscribers in your network. 

In release 2.3, we introduced Wifi mode of operation for the SM. This means that the ePMP SM in Wifi mode can connect to any Access Point (it doesn't have to be a Cambium device) that is operating standard 802.11n Wifi mode. This feature allows you to migrate your existing Wifi based deployments to ePMP. If you have an existing Wifi PMP or PTP deployment, you can use the WiFi mode on the ePMP SM and start to replace your current SMs one at a time with ePMP. Once all the subscribers in your sector have been replaced with an ePMP subscriber, you can then finally swap out the AP with an ePMP AP. Then switch the now fully migrated ePMP sector to propietary TDD mode providing you higher throughput, reliability and scalabilty. 

Please take a look at the attached document for more information on this feature. 

Thanks,

Sriram

Thanks,  Can the ePMP SM be used as hotspots?

Sepoe

No, not at this time. 

Sriram

http://www.cambiumnetworks.com/pressreleases/2014/10/14/cambium-networks-announces-wi-fi-mode-of-operation-for-epmp-1000

By Cambium NetworksOctober 14, 20140 comments
Cambium Networks Announces Wi-Fi Mode of Operation for ePMP™ 1000

Software enhancement offers accelerated network migrations, and new services such as hotspots, video surveillance and sensor connectivity.

So, is your pressreleases wrong by saying Software enhancement offers accelerated network migrations, and new services such as hotspots, video surveillance and sensor connectivity?

Sepoe

Hi Sepoe, 

I believe you have misinterpreted the press release. I apologize if it was misleading. The WiFi mode of operation on the SM helps with the first part which is network migration. There are other features in release 2.3 and upcoming release 2.4 that allow for video surveillance, hotspots and sensor connectivity. For example, release 2.3 enables the second (auxillary) Ethernet port on the SM. You could potentially provide wireless broadband access to a particular location using an ePMP SM and then connect a Wifi AP or a video camera to the second Ethernet port and provide services like hotspots and video surveillance. 

Thanks,

Sriram

Release 2.3 includes:

1. 5 MHz and 10 MHz channel bandwidth support
  2. Wi-Fi mode allowing ePMP subscriber modules to be installed in any existing point-to-multipoint network, and communicate with any access point in Wi-Fi mode. This capability can be used to upgrade any network without interrupting network services, thereby accelerating network migrations.
  3. Multicast support is also included iwhich allows network operators to dedicate the best data rate for IPTV subscribers so non-users aren’t adversely affected by this bandwidth-intensive application. 
  4. Support for switching and PoE out for SM’s 2nd Ethernet port ideal for attaching a video camera for CCTV or Wi-Fi hotspots.
  5. Command Line Interface (CLI) Access Support
1 Like

I tried using an integrated 2.4ghz SM to connect to a Ubiquiti access point and it would not connect.  Airmax was disabled and I triple checked all of my settings and it simply refused to connect. 

Firmware is 2.3

Hi Chris, 

I will assume you have already switched the ePMP SM to Standard WiFi mode from the Quick Start menu on the GUI. When you say it doesnt connect, is the SM able to see the AP (check under Monitor->Wireless). If not, then ensure there is no channel shifting and any other feature enabled on the AP. If the SM sees the AP make sure the WPA2 or security settings match between the SM and AP. If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact our support engineers @ http://www.cambiumnetworks.com/support/contact-support

Thanks,

Sriram

Yes it is switched to wifi mode and yes I can see the AP with very good signal.  I was very thorough in making sure encryption and password matched.  Still no luck

If I understood you correctly, I you saying the SM 2nd Ethernet port can be used to connect a WiFi hotspot radio?

Thanks,

Sepoe

@Kpadeh Sepoe wrote:

If I understood you correctly, I you saying the SM 2nd Ethernet port can be used to connect a WiFi hotspot radio?

Thanks,

Sepoe

That is what he is saying but that is, let's say, misleading.  The 2nd port only supports cambium proprietary poe power so it is designed to power up another cambium radio which still doesn't get you a wifi ap.  You would have to make a special cable to switch the power pairs and you would also have to make sure the radio you were powering would accept the output voltage of the cambium radio.

1 Like

Hi Chris, 

You are correct. The second port provides proprietary poe. However, you can still connect a Wifi hotspot AP with its own power supply and just use the second port to bridge the WiFi hotspot AP to the ePMP SM. 

In early Q1, we will be providing a dongle (it will be cheap!) that will convert proprietary poe to standard 802.3af PoE. 

Thanks,

Sriram

Thanks Chris

Sepoe

Hello Chris,

Are you using 20MHz or 40MHz channels?

Regards,

Luis

@Cambium_Sri wrote:

Hi Chris, 

You are correct. The second port provides proprietary poe. However, you can still connect a Wifi hotspot AP with its own power supply and just use the second port to bridge the WiFi hotspot AP to the ePMP SM. 

In early Q1, we will be providing a dongle (it will be cheap!) that will convert proprietary poe to standard 802.3af PoE. 

Thanks,

Sriram

I'm curious, why does cambium reverse the polarity on their poe lines?

@Luis wrote:

Hello Chris,

Are you using 20MHz or 40MHz channels?

Regards,

Luis

20mhz

Hello Chris,

We have tested with UBNT RocketM and NanostationM in AP mode using 20MHz and 40MHz. With 40MHz, we only support an upper channel as extended channel. Are you using a different UBNT device?

Thanks,

Luis

@cambium If you do a AP Wifi Mode for the unconnectorized Version it would be possible to plug 2 devices together. One does the uplink the other connects Wireless clients ...

Ste, are you asking if you utlilize 2 separate radios, if one could be set up to be a client and the other one setup as an access point?  If that is your question, then it depends on whether cambium adds AP wifi mode, which they say they plan on.  If they do the answer would be yes.