ePMP 2000 and F200 5 Ghz

Where does this product stand in development? Timing ?

I believe the Force 200 should be showing up in distrubution soon! As for the ePMP2000, I have not heard any specific dates.

Force 200 in 2.4GHz is shipping now. Force 200 in 5GHz will be shipping January.

1 Like

@Millpond Media wrote:

Where does this product stand in development? Timing ?

A little bird told me 2000 will be arriving Q1-Q2 2016. Beta units exist.

1 Like

I've read scattered items about the 2000, but can anyone give bullet points as to what the features will be? 

1 Like

WE will be sharing information on this soon.

1 Like

Whats the rumors on this ePMP 2000 and F200 hardware? what exactly is it meant to be?

As far as I understand it's still based on the N chip, but will allow you to have some additional capacity, as well as having some better TX / RX noise filtering. If you check on youtube I believe there is one video posted from WISPA where you can even see what it looks like.

Been 3 weeks,,,,, any updates ? 

Based on the N chip?

Why cambium doesn't use "AC" chipset, that is still backward compatible with the N ?

Why cambium doesn't use "AC" chipset, that is still backward compatible with the N ?

As far as I know, the AC chipsets have a large portion of the driver built right into the chipset, and it's not as customizable as N chipsets are. A good chunk of the 'magic' of the ePMP is the ability for Cambium to turn off and bypass 802.11 / WIFI 'features' which are not suitable for outdoor multipoint use.

Additionally, what AC (in theory) adds is essentially a potential for higher throughput IF you have ideal circumstances, IF you have really clean air, and IF you have really strong signals.  While that does sometimes exist in certain situations, most outdoor multipoint environments have less than ideal noise and less than ideal signals. So - a bigger benefit can usually be achieved with techniques like Syncronizing your AP's (GPS) and by an advanced scheduler and by a non-ACK protocol.  As far as I know, the 'N' chipsets are customizable by Cambium to achieve all that, and the AC chipset's are not.

You say that is not customizable but, yours, are just guesses, unless you're not a Cambium technical engineer.

It is obvious, that we are not talking about the standard protocol, but AC customization that only Cambium can do, so the fact that it works better (in 20 or 40MHz) with strong signals could be worth for only 802.11

I think the real problem is the possible loss of market of their PMP450 (much more expensive) if a ePMP-AC was produced

Yes, could be.  My comments are based on experience with a different company's troubles with AC vs N. They said that customizing and by-passing the stock driver in AC was much more difficult. You are right though, that this may or may not be correct. And Cambium was able to modify 802.11n in a way no one else was able to - so you may be correct.

Don't get me wrong, I want Cambium's ePMP to be all that it can be, and if this means moving to AC, then that's great. However, I think that there is also TON's of life left in 802.11n, and it's more important to have real world performance, reliability, scalability, interference rejection, managability, frequency reuse, spectral efficiency, etc.

Mirko wrote: Why cambium doesn't use "AC" chipset, that is still backward compatible with the N ?

Hi Mirko. This is a fairly comprehensive test spanning 3-4 months of 'AC' gear vs Cambium N gear.
http://www.auwireless.net/blog/2016/1/2/testing-testing-and-more-testing

@Mirko wrote:

You say that is not customizable but, yours, are just guesses, unless you're not a Cambium technical engineer.

It is obvious, that we are not talking about the standard protocol, but AC customization that only Cambium can do, so the fact that it works better (in 20 or 40MHz) with strong signals could be worth for only 802.11

I think the real problem is the possible loss of market of their PMP450 (much more expensive) if a ePMP-AC was produced

Mirko,

Good insight there :) Cambium is committed to AC but the foundation is to create differentiation just like our current ePMP platform. We are actively working on a market leading solution but it will be a while away and of course be dictated by many things. We are keen to make sure backwards compatibility is fully supported. 

In the meantime, ePMP2000 will be launched with its own set of features that are gonig to be very compelling in high interference environment.

Sakid

Sakid, Is there a timeframe in place for any release of information on the 2000 series yet? Met you in Minneapolis and your presentation and informative session was excellent by the way. Any input you want to offer up on the F200 in 5 GHz product as well ?? Trying to see how the two will integrate with each other. 

The Force 200 at 5GHz is available now.

Any releasable insight in to the 2000 release...?

Feels like a big baby coming....Timing? Attributes?

At least the specs should be shared so we can make educated decisions choosing the right platform.

Most of the WISPs right now are choosing their vendor for the new PtMP deployments. 

So please share the specs, and pics so we know what to expect and make our business decisions accordingly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMgwYudL_I0

Very vague so two antennas are needed? I dont lkiek that becuase we are charged per antenna on the tower were on. This will double our costs unless I am missing something here?