ePMP "Ask the Experts" April 08

Hello,

Responding to one of your first questions. We have taken care to add statistics into ePMP that give you a quick view on whether a particular link is at capacity or not. Combination of Air Capacity, utilization parameters can tell you about the health of the link. 

I think a webinar on troubleshooting/debugging an ePMP system could help and we could go over all of the statistics.

Sakid

p.s. CNS does give you some of the same view and we are also working on a next generation tool that will make pre-emptive monitoring of your network far easier.

1 Like

Sure, my email is agonzalez@enlaces.com.gt

Thanks!

That would be an excellent webinar!

@Rex McGuire wrote:

That would be an excellent webinar!

Watch for the webinar coming soon. Be sure to post any questions you have now to this thread and we will be sure to cover the topic.

Welcome! Our next session with the ePMP development team begins in a few minutes. You can post your questions now.

When responding to a statement, please use the REPLY button below the post, and then use the QUOTE button to insert the statement into your response.

I like the ePMP for the most part but I cannot convince others on my team it's a viable replacement for the PMP 100 gear.  Their concerns are all centered around latency.  Realistically, how much more latency do you guys think you can shave off with firmware updates alone going into the future?  Also, any update on the C3-VoIP/wireless router combo release date? 

We use both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz ePMP in some cases.  I would recommend others try the dual slant 2.4 antenna from KP Performance as it does seem to mitigate interference much better than standard H-V patterns of the stock sector antenna

Hi.  The ePMP is commodity radio chipset in order to bring the price down, and to capatalize on the economy of scale. That's all excellent.  However, my question is:  Is there anything in development in the ePMP family that is custom-silicon, like the AirFiber or the Prism Chip?  I do understand that the other Cambium product lines (450, 650, etc) are more customized hardware, but I wondered if there is anything coming in the ePMP family that is custom silicon?

Hi,

I'd like to know if there is any plan to support multicast IP traffic for uplink. When?

We will have your answer in a few minutes. 

Hi Nathan,

Yes, we continue to include improvements that enhance / decrease our latency for our TDD mode.  We have four sets of improvements planned.

1. We are including UL latency improvements for PMP deployments in the 2.4.3 release due out around the end of May.

2. We plan to decrease latency through passing data more often in the current frame  in both the dowlink and uplink in the 2.5 release probably in the July timeframe.

3. We are releasing a 2.5 msec frame which will allow latency to be decreased by a significant amount as compared to our 5 msec frame.  This is part of the 2.5 release.

4. We plan on improving on the mechanism to recognize data received at the SM such that it is scheduled by the AP as quickly as possible for the uplink.  This will come out after the 2.5 release.

Dan

Hi Ninedd,

For ePMP our goal is to optimize both cost and performance.  You have correctly pointed out an advantage of our current solution which builds upon Atheros 802.11 chipsets with our best in class TDD MAC that provides excellent scaleability at a best in market price.

For the future I cannot reveal future products that have not been announced, but let's just say that what you propose is something that we could accomplish for the ePMP product line that would allow for even greater scaleability.  We have a rich roadmap planned to decrease cost and improve scaleability and performance.

Dan

Hi Yovar,

We definitely support the passing of multicast data today in the uplink.  When we receive multicast traffic at the SM, we send it to the AP as unicast traffic at a rate that optimizes the throughput via our rate adapt algorithm.

Perhaps I am not understanding your question.  Could you provide more details as to what uplink multicast functionality for which you are looking or perhaps wanting added to ePMP.

Dan

@Daniel Sullivan wrote:

Hi Yovar,

We definitely support the passing of multicast data today in the uplink.  When we receive multicast traffic at the SM, we send it to the AP as unicast traffic at a rate that optimizes the throughput via our rate adapt algorithm.

Perhaps I am not understanding your question.  Could you provide more details as to what uplink multicast functionality for which you are looking or perhaps wanting added to ePMP.

Dan

for those not familiar with ePMP and Multicast, you will find more information HERE

I understand that ePMP can support multicast traffic transparently.

Last night, in the web seminar, we were told that ePMP only supports multicast traffic downlink for applicattions as IPTV.

I need to work with multicast traffic for surveillance (CCTV) applicattions.

Normally, when we have many SMs registered in one AP, the multicast traffic is like broadcast so you can see uplink and downlink traffic eventhough you are only transmitting uplink.

With, PMP 450, PMP 430, PMP 100, you can block this traffic in the AP so you only see uplink traffic.

I want to know if we could have this option in ePMP.

@Yovar wrote:

I understand that ePMP can support multicast traffic transparently.

Last night, in the web seminar, we were told that ePMP only supports multicast traffic downlink for applicattions as IPTV.

I need to work with multicast traffic for surveillance (CCTV) applicattions.

Normally, when we have many SMs registered in one AP, the multicast traffic is like broadcast so you can see uplink and downlink traffic eventhough you are only transmitting uplink.

With, PMP 450, PMP 430, PMP 100, you can block this traffic in the AP so you only see uplink traffic.

I want to know if we could have this option in ePMP.

Hi Yovar, 

If you would ike to block uplink multicast begin broadcasted on the downlink, you can can turn on SM Isolation at the AP. 

Thanks,
Sriram

1 Like

Do you have info about in which software release this option was available?. My question is because I avoided to work with ePMP for surveyllance applications because the lack of that feature in previous releases.

Hi Yovar,

We have a feature called SM Isolation.  By default this is disabled.  This allows uplink traffic sent by an SM to an AP to be seen by other SMs.  When SM Isolation is switched to enabled, then uplink traffic sent by the SM is only received by the AP and not sent to other SMs.

Dan

Thank you everyone for your questions and comments. A special thanks to the ePMP development team for their discussion.

This thread will remain open so that you can ask new questions. 

Our next "Ask the Experts" session will be with the LINKPlanner development team on April 22. You can find information on that session HERE.

@Yovar wrote:

Do you have info about in which software release this option was available?. My question is because I avoided to work with ePMP for surveyllance applications because the lack of that feature in previous releases.

Yovar, 

This feature has been available since Release 2.2 that came out early fall last year. 

Thanks,

Sriram

Hi Yovar,

UL Isolation introduced into ePMP about a year ago.

Dan