LINKPlanner "Ask the Experts" April 22

Our next “Ask the Experts” live Community event will feature members of the LINKPlanner development team responding to your questions. This is your opportunity to ask us anything in a live environment.

320x120_linkPlanner_initials2.jpg

Participating is easy. Just login and join this thread at any or all of the following times on Wednesday, April 22nd:

• 5 – 6 AM CDT
  • 8 – 9 AM CDT
  • 1 – 2 PM CDT

Pass this information to your colleagues. If you are not yet a member of the Cambium Community, join at http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/ by using the link in the top right corner.

We look forward to the discussion and meeting with you. Add the sessions to your outlook calendar by clicking on the attachments below:

I would like to attend.  please send me an invite

@Gabriel Rincon wrote:

I would like to attend.  please send me an invite

Hello Gabriel, Your invitation is sent.

The LINKPlanner team will be joining us in a few minutes. Please post any questions that you may hve on this thread.

We are  ready to take your questions. 

This one came in over e-mail:

Is LINKPlanner a Windows based package? When will it run on a Mac?

@Cambium_RayS wrote:

We are  ready to take your questions. 

This one came in over e-mail:

Is LINKPlanner a Windows based package? When will it run on a Mac?

We offer the latest version of LINKPlanner for Windows and Intel Mac at https://support.cambiumnetworks.com/files/linkplanner/.

The Mac version has the same functionality as the Windows version with the exception of the embedded Google Map and Google Earth views, which are not currently available on the Mac version.

We recommend that Linux users run the Windows version under Wine. There are issues generating the Google Earth export from the toolbar icon, but all other functionality should work as it does under Windows.

The LINKPlanner team will be here in a few minutes to answer any questions you may have. Feel free to start entering your questions in this thread and the developers will answer them.

when is the 820c dual tranceiver feature going to be available

is there anything special that I have to enter to use LINKPlanner for an ePMP PTP link?

@paulmack wrote:

when is the 820c dual tranceiver feature going to be available

The PTP 820C is already available in many frequency bands. Is there a specific frequency band or link configuration you are interested in?

@Cambium_RayS wrote:

is there anything special that I have to enter to use LINKPlanner for an ePMP PTP link?

Nothing special. Create 2 network sites and then create a PTP link between them. Choose the appropriate band and then select the ePMP 1000 product.

If you are new to LINKPlanner then I recommend that you take a few minutes to work through the tutorials in the user guide (linked from the Getting Started screen).

11gig 4x4 mimo

@paulmack wrote:

11gig 4x4 mimo

We had considered adding the 4x4 MIMO option to LINKPlanner but so far we were not aware of much demand, so it is good to know that there is a need for it. We will review the priority for this feature.

Hi Rachel,

when will the PTP820C can be configured for 4+0 Config on the link planner?

Also, if we choose (let say )the PTP820C with 2+0 XPIC config or 1+1 MHSB config. there is still a problem there (the throughput expected is not come out), also it's just come with the BoM if we chose 1+1 config.

On the 2+0 Co-Pol or Cross-Pol, the throughput was came out but we can't set the frequencies.

Thanks

@Abdi wrote:

Hi Rachel,

when will the PTP820C can be configured for 4+0 Config on the link planner?

Also, if we choose (let say )the PTP820C with 2+0 XPIC config or 1+1 MHSB config. there is still a problem there (the throughput expected is not come out), also it's just come with the BoM if we chose 1+1 config.

On the 2+0 Co-Pol or Cross-Pol, the throughput was came out but we can't set the frequencies.

Thanks

Hi Abdi,

When planning a 1+1 MHSB the parent level of the link shows the BOM, to see the performance of the main link you need to select the Primary to Primary option from the navigation pane or you can also see the performance of any of the secondary paths, should a failure occur resulting in a switch-over.

On the 2+0 XPIC the throughput should be there, again the aggregate throughput is shown on the parent link and the throughput for each path on the individual paths (A or B).

On all the 2+0 links you need to set the frequencies on the invididual paths, not at the aggregate level.

If you still have a problem, can you please send me the project file and tell me which frequencies you want to set?

1 Like

I have a customer that is trying to determine his interference level at each of his AP’s and SMs,  He wants to measure that using the spectrum analysis at each unit and has asked me if he needs to shut down the rest of his radio network to get a true reading.  I was going to answer the following:

“Don’t turn any radios off that will be transmitting under normal conditions.  The reasoning is this; The spectrum analysis is measuring signals only during the receive phase of the TX/RX cycle, so your other radios won’t be seen since they are all timed off GPS timing.  But any of your equipment’s signal that has bounced off mountains, building, trees, ect. will be out of phase and possibly be off timing so they need to be accounted for in the spectrum analysis. Then of course, all other signals that are not coming from your GPS timed equipment will be measured as well.  So, by leaving the rest of your network up it gives you a truer interference level.”

Is this correct?

The LINKPlanner developers are available to answer your questions live. Feel free to post your questions in this thread.

@Donald W. Patterson wrote:

I have a customer that is trying to determine his interference level at each of his AP’s and SMs,  He wants to measure that using the spectrum analysis at each unit and has asked me if he needs to shut down the rest of his radio network to get a true reading.  I was going to answer the following:

“Don’t turn any radios off that will be transmitting under normal conditions.  The reasoning is this; The spectrum analysis is measuring signals only during the receive phase of the TX/RX cycle, so your other radios won’t be seen since they are all timed off GPS timing.  But any of your equipment’s signal that has bounced off mountains, building, trees, ect. will be out of phase and possibly be off timing so they need to be accounted for in the spectrum analysis. Then of course, all other signals that are not coming from your GPS timed equipment will be measured as well.  So, by leaving the rest of your network up it gives you a truer interference level.”

Is this correct?

Hi Donald,

Which of the PMP products are you using? I just want to be sure that you won't be seeing the SM transmissions.

@Donald W. Patterson wrote:

Is this correct?

Hi Donald

What SMs are you using? For PMP, spectrum analysis is listening the whole time and charting energy.

PMP450s