ePMP Software Release 4.7 is now available

Maybe reference my ticket: Request #340393 ePMP legacy N clients stop responding on 4.7

1 Like

We mass upgraded our network of about 1500 devices to 4.7
no issues at the beginning but we noticed a lot of disconnected routers (cpe are in bridge mode).
They dont get dhcp anymore.
the cpe are not getting dhcp renewed, but they still answer on their old IP.
we connect them via ssh and reboot them.
downgraded to 4.6.1 and the issue disappeared.

we have noticed that some devices cannot downgrade below 4.6.4 ā€¦ but we dont have any 4.6.4 around, so they stay on 4.7

We had turned off SNMP on all our SMs but the problem continues long past that so that doesnā€™t point to an SNMP issue unless turning it off doesnā€™t really turn it off.

We just lost another SM. All it did was renew itā€™s management DHCP lease. That was enough to knock it offline and require a power cycle.

It is not a ā€œsmall numberā€ of devices. It is 100% our network (around 300 devices). So far, weā€™ve lost around a dozen customers as a result of this. They got tired of their internet just stopping randomly and having to constantly reboot their gear. That did not instill confidence in them with their ISP and they switched.

So there must be something about your configuration that is triggering this issue more than ours. Iā€™d encourage you to work with Cambium support to help them find the issue. Iā€™m currently working with them and I have a debug firmware that they built (4.7.0.1-RC5) that Iā€™ll be deploying tonight in an effort to try to catch the issue.

Please open a ticket and reference ticket #340393

@Fedor do you have any advice for @Au_Wireless?

1 Like

@Au_Wireless,

If you can provide remote access to device when the issue is seen that would help us a lot.
Unfortunately we havenā€™t succeeded in the issue replication in the lab so far and can rely on customersā€™ help only.
We do have private firmware with enabled debug prepared that I can share with you, but even having access to device with original 4.7 firmware would be very useful.

Thank you.

We also downgrade all SMs and ePMP2000 APs to 4.6.2, only leaving 4.7.0 on ePMP3000s. Our technicians call 4.7 a total disaster :slight_smile:

Weā€™ve lived quite happily for more than a year with 4.6.2 (few long happening issues aside). 4.7 broke lots of thingsā€¦ SMs got more expensive, software got more unstable snd buggy. Such are the times I suppose :man_shrugging:

@Fedor As much as Iā€™d love to help on this issue, we are moving as many radios to 4.6.1 as fast as possible. This has been such a disaster for us and has angered so many customers, we are moving everything we can as fast as we can. I do not want to leave any devices on 4.7.0 or any beta versions of 4.7 for any longer than absolutely necessary. I am happy to email you configs before we downgrade but even that makes me nervous. It seems every time we touch a radio in any way, it results in a truck roll.

Well, 4.7.0 is the gift that keeps on giving. About 50% of our F300 client radios will not downgrade. I get an error stating ā€œDowngrading below 4.6.4 is not possibleā€. These are on radios that have been running much earlier firmware than 4.6.4 in the past. Again, no rhyme or reason as to which SMs give this error and which ones take the downgrade without an issue.

Here is a radio that has 4.6.2 in the inactive bank but tells me it canā€™t go below 4.6.4. And, 4.6.4 is not even a firmware that exists. Unreal.

2 Likes

I got 4.7.0-RC64 from the Cambium site and it has the same problem. I donā€™t have any older RCs for 4.7 since we tend not to run beta and RC firmware.

My next issue will be we run STA frequencies on many APs so Iā€™ll have to get an STA version of whatever RC works so we donā€™t have to re-program APs during this transition.

Are you having issues with 4.7 and 802.11ac radios? The only issues weā€™ve noticed seemed to be 4.7 802.11n clients connected to AC APā€™sā€¦ but we havenā€™t seen any issues with AC clients.

The only issue we are not seeing in the AC radios is the SNMP going unresponsive when airtime utilization goes up. That is likely due to the much better CPU than the N radios. Other than that, every other issue we have is across the board. We have 4 towers that are 100% AC radios on them and they have the same issues that the mixed and all N radio towers have.

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen performance improvements with 4.7 mentioned in the forums. But itā€™s not clear to me whether those improvements are applicable to 2000 APs with F200 SMs.

There are improvements and bug fixes for both platforms, AC and N. But at some cases they can be different.

Our support service gives STA quickly. You need just to open a ticket and attach your authorization.
I suggest to use stable 4.7.0

If it is responsive to CnMaestro can you download TSF from there?

The issue has been reproduced locally in the lab and the fix is coming in 4.7.0.1.
4.7.0.1 Beta will be released this week.

Thank you.

2 Likes

I have been told by support that downgrading below 4.7.0 is not possible by design. Cambium does not want users to downgrade below 4.7.0 after upgrading. Since all of our 180s, 190s and 200s downgraded just fine and only about 50% of the F300 will not downgrade, that software block is not working well.

None the less, we are not able to wait for 4.7.0.1 and do not run beta software in production so we need to find a solution to downgrade the radios that wouldnā€™t. I canā€™t afford any more truck rolls and our customer reputation is suffering from all the issues we have experienced with 4.7.0.

Weā€™ve already tried this and when the radio is in this state, cnMaestro cannot get a TSF dump. After multiple attempts the radio will stop responding to even cnMaestro. We were able to get a log dump, which is how we got the data previously posted.

1 Like

The only thing that seems to (barley) still work is a reboot requestā€¦ so thatā€™s what weā€™ve been doing. Once they get in this state, nothing else seems to workā€¦ and weā€™re flirting with disaster.

We have downgraded to 4.7-RC64 from 4.7, this was done because 4.7 has stabilty issues that take time to manifest. SMs just up and stop allowing any login, showing offline in cnMaestro and can not be remotely rebooted. This is most prevalent on F180 SMs but we have seen more than a few F300 SMs do this.
APs do not seem to have the issue but that could be for another reason that we just do not see.

All of our towers are DC direct powered with Packetflux sync Injectors and sync to the Packetflux except for the e3kL radios which get sync from the onboard GPS. Just incase this is important.