ePMP Software Release 4.7 is now available

I’m losing my mind now. We downgraded everything we could back to 4.6.2. There are ~20 radios that gave us the error that they would not downgrade below 4.6.4 so they are stuck on 4.7.0. Last night, we rebooted a router in our system after a firmware upgrade. That simple act factory reset every 4.7.0 radio that was getting a DHCP management IP address from that router.

I have a list of customers now off line and power cycling the F300 client radio does not bring the radio back online. We are truck rolling for a dozen more customers on a weekend because of this firmware.

We have seen this factory reset issue before on 180 client radios under 4.7.0 and now it hit on on a bunch of F300 client radios. I honestly do not think we will ever upgrade ePMP beyond 4.6.2. I can not afford to lose any more customers as a result of this firmware. We’ve been using ePMP for 7 years now and never had issues like this but there is something very wrong in 4.7.0

2 Likes

Dumb question, but do you have reset via power enabled?
I would also review the commands used (especially if CnMaestro was involved) to see if a factory reset command was send to the multicast addresses.

We turned off reset by power years ago on all radios and it is off on our default template.

We did not issue any commands to the radio. All we did was reboot a Mikrotik CCR2216 router that happened to be the DHCP server for the management IPs for these radios. That is it. All 8 radios reset at the same moment the router came back online. Only radios that were running 4.7.0 reset.

This is not the first time rebooting the management DHCP server has done this to 4.7.0 radios.

Our on-prem cnMaestro does not have any onboarding enabled or automatic software changes enabled. All 8 radios that reset were already onboarded (years ago) and were running normally at the time of the reset.

I’ve been out to two sites so far to re-program the radios.

2 Likes

Third radio we visited had switched to 4.6.4 from the 4.7.0-STA firmware that was running on it. Since this is an STA AP, the SM could no longer connect since 4.6.4 is not STA.

What makes no sense is we never uploaded 4.6.4 to that radio. It is in cnMaestro but is not set as the preferred firmware and is not set to auto upgrade. the preferred firmware is 4.6.2-STA and we have images for all radio models we use in cnMaestro.

4.7.0 keeps doing things we can not explain. Of the 8, so far 2 did a factory reset and 1 did a revert to firmware we never pushed to it - all at the same exact time and all synchronized with a reboot of the management IP router.

I’m not new to running ePMP or a WISP and I can’t for the life of me explain any of this but we’ve never had a single issue like this with any firmware prior to 4.7.0

2 Likes

Sorry, I did not get a notification of your other post.

IF cnmaestro had a update pending then this would make sense, but this is sounding like either a hold over in 4.7-STA or something funny is interacting and forcing a web update, which ignores your on-prem server.
I wish we could disable the web update in config though, it is too easy to bit flip a register thus gain an unintended web update.

I’ve seen performance improvements with 4.7 mentioned in the forums.

What improvements exactly?

The 4.7.0.1-RC6 Beta with the critical bug-fixes has been released.

Thank you.

1 Like

Oops! That page is private.

You need to join the ePMP Beta program to get access:

2 Likes

Hi Chad have you already tried the new 4.7.0.1-RC6? what were the results? did your issues were fixed?

We are not trying release candidates. We spent considerable time getting everything back to 4.6.1 and I think that is where the network will likely stay for the rest of this hardware’s life.

1 Like

Does anyone have some field data using 4.7.0.1-RC6

There is a known memory leak in 4.7.0 for the DPI feature, this is not yet confirmed in 4.7.1rc6 but there is issues surrounding DPI in 4.7.1rc6.
We are still lab testing 4.7.1rc6 but it is not going well, odd issues in the lab mean major issues in the field. Funny thing is that we are having a hard time quantifying these issues as they come and go fast enough that we are not seeing the cause and the syslogs are as helpful as ever! Some more verbosity would be nice!

Hi all, so to roll back anything from 4.7 is not possible? I have a few weird things happening with some subscribers but do not know if its software related.

Anyone have issues rolling back from 4.7

@DigitalMan2020, the only possible bug was in RC6 and fixed in RC7. So if you have already stable 4.7.0 then it should be smooth.

Okay thank you… I was just wondering because someone on the forum said that they could not roll back from 4.7

So, we have next downgrade restrictions:

Downgrade below 4.7 is not supported for Force 200L.
Downgrade below 4.7 is not supported for boards with soft country lock set.
Downgrade below 4.7 is not supported for boards with flexible mode selected.
Downgrade below 4.7 is not supported for boards with Port Forwarding configured containing ports 22(SSH), 161(SNMP), 80(HTTP), 443(HTTPS)
TR-069 option is not supported in SW versions below 4.7.0.
Downgrade from 4.7.0 for F300-13/F300-19/F300-19R Maxrp is supported to 4.6.4 only.

Not sure if anyone has posted this (minor) issue but we updated an epmp 3000 radio to 4.7 and have a device name missing in the monitor → wireless tab.